SCCM 2012 R2 Deployment assistance and guide lines required. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have purchased the system center suit and planed to deploy the below products in our environment.

SCOM - Plan already made and architecture is ready with no issues

SCCM - In planning state.

We are planning to use the same SQL server for both SCOM and SCCM, Which is a SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 CU6. So the database engine service is available to host our database.

But the Business has said we need to deploy reporting on another machine which may be a SQL 2012 SP1.

What i want to know is does SCCM 2012 R2 support using different versions of SQL server for its features? As i see there is no documentation for this.

How ever MS has given the document for SCOM that it is not supported and we need to use the same version of SQL for all the features.

Also is SQL Express edition supported for other Primary sites if i use a licensed SQL in my CAS ? 

Does any one have an idea on SCCM 2012 R2 for the above ?

Gautam.75801

Sunday, February 15, 2015 6:23 PM

Answers

• First things first, how many clients are you going to manage with SCCM? Check this article before even thinking about CAS: https://sccmgeekdiary.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/to-cas-or-not-to-cas-that-is-the-question/

Also, do not mix SCOM and SCCM DBs on the same server, SCCM should be run on it's own dedicated server, preferably on the Primary Site Server locally instead of external server.

For supported SQL versions you can check here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx

Sunday, February 15, 2015 6:36 PM
  • The logic is that both of this are very SQL, CPU and IO intensive programs, putting both on the same server is asking for problems. Secondly, SCOM Reporting does not work well with SCCM report. They both MUST have their own SSRS site.  Thirdly, licensing, all SC product are license for their own SQL Server serve as long as it is only used for SC products. So why trying to make everything work with one SQL instance?

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Monday, February 16, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Yes that will work but why?  It is recommend that CM12 and SQL be on the same server and therefore SSRS too. So why have two different server for this? On top of that why would you use SQL 2008 as the DB engine when you are fully license for SQL 2012?

Monday, February 16, 2015 5:38 PM
  • So 450 servers, how many workstations, not users but workstations (=client devices)?

More info on reporting services point and supported configurations can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh338695.aspx, the article states: "The SQL Server instance can be co-located with the site system server, or on a remote computer.", so if you're planning to separate Reporting Services to another server, the versions that are mentioned on that article are supported.

Sunday, February 15, 2015 7:18 PM
  • So you want to manage 450 servers with ConfigMgr? If so, Primary Site would do just fine.

Read the link I provided earlier.

May I ask what's the point of installing SCCM/SCOM on the same database? Like I said earlier, keep SCCM on it's own.

Sunday, February 15, 2015 9:02 PM
  • IMO you are in a very unique situation. You only have 450 servers but you have 400,000 users and you want to use MDM to manage their mobile devices? Is this correct?

If so then you really should talk to Microsoft consulting about that you truly need. For 450 computer a single primary site with SQL install locally will be more than sufficient. But having 400,000 MDM devices changes all of that.

BTW I would never install SCOM and SCCM on the same server or same SQL server.

Monday, February 16, 2015 2:18 PM

All replies

• First things first, how many clients are you going to manage with SCCM? Check this article before even thinking about CAS: https://sccmgeekdiary.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/to-cas-or-not-to-cas-that-is-the-question/

Also, do not mix SCOM and SCCM DBs on the same server, SCCM should be run on it's own dedicated server, preferably on the Primary Site Server locally instead of external server.

For supported SQL versions you can check here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx

Sunday, February 15, 2015 6:36 PM
  • Hi There,

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

We actually have 450 Windows servers Exchange and Domain controllers to gather which we will be managing. Spread world wide (US, UK, India, Singapore)

Also we have 4,00,000 Users in the AD Spread world wide (US, UK, India, Singapore) so if MDM solution is required we may deploy that as well. But not all 4,00,000 users may require MDM initially. 

Also i already went through the link for SQL so it is not mentioned about Using different versions of SQL at the same time for SCCM features.

Gautam.75801

Sunday, February 15, 2015 6:51 PM
  • So 450 servers, how many workstations, not users but workstations (=client devices)?

More info on reporting services point and supported configurations can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh338695.aspx, the article states: "The SQL Server instance can be co-located with the site system server, or on a remote computer.", so if you're planning to separate Reporting Services to another server, the versions that are mentioned on that article are supported.

Sunday, February 15, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Hi There,

Yes only servers as all are exchange servers incl of 60 domain controllers which have 4,00,000 mailboxex in it and so we have 4,00,000 Ad users but that Ad domain is only used for exchange and nothing else. The clients login using a different local domain which is managed by them selves.

So we may plan for the MDM solution and just application deployment and patching for the 450 exchange and domain controllers which are spreader globally.

So do you suggest we use a CAS here in this situation or go for a stand alone environment? Our network connectivity is also not so bad but also not very good ?

Gautam.75801

Sunday, February 15, 2015 7:30 PM
  • So you want to manage 450 servers with ConfigMgr? If so, Primary Site would do just fine.

Read the link I provided earlier.

May I ask what's the point of installing SCCM/SCOM on the same database? Like I said earlier, keep SCCM on it's own.

Sunday, February 15, 2015 9:02 PM
  • Hi There,

Basically Ms its self provides a standard edition license for the System center suit. But out company is having cost issues in purchasing the hardware for the SQL server. Also that SQL server in the other business is used for other purposes as well and our business has paid a huge amount of money to use that. That is why we are being asked to use that.

If i were you event i would suggest a separate SQL for all but Business does these decisions so.

Gautam.75801

Monday, February 16, 2015 8:24 AM
  • IMO you are in a very unique situation. You only have 450 servers but you have 400,000 users and you want to use MDM to manage their mobile devices? Is this correct?

If so then you really should talk to Microsoft consulting about that you truly need. For 450 computer a single primary site with SQL install locally will be more than sufficient. But having 400,000 MDM devices changes all of that.

BTW I would never install SCOM and SCCM on the same server or same SQL server.

Monday, February 16, 2015 2:18 PM
  • Hi Grath,

Thank you very much. I would like to know the logic here why not to host both SCOM & SCCM database to gether ?

Any issues faced by users before who have done it ? What about reporting instance ? Should the reporting instance also be kept separate as well ?

Gautam.75801

Monday, February 16, 2015 4:02 PM
  • The logic is that both of this are very SQL, CPU and IO intensive programs, putting both on the same server is asking for problems. Secondly, SCOM Reporting does not work well with SCCM report. They both MUST have their own SSRS site.  Thirdly, licensing, all SC product are license for their own SQL Server serve as long as it is only used for SC products. So why trying to make everything work with one SQL instance?

Monday, February 16, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Thank you very Grath. 

Also my last and the remaining question is about the SQL Server version inter operability.

Does using different versions of SQL work in SCCM ? i.E I use DB Engine SQL 2008 R2 SP1 CU6 and if i use SQL 2012 R2 for reporting. 

Will this work in SCCM ? As for SCOM MS has said this in there document that using different versions of SQL's for features is not supported.

So what is the case with SCCM is it the same or is it supported ?

As the Microsoft documents do not talk about this question.

The reason i asked is as the business does not have cost for Hardware for a SQL server and they are asking to use a SQL server in another domain for DB engine.

And another SQL server for reporting as the DB engine server does not have reporting.

Gautam.75801

Monday, February 16, 2015 4:16 PM
  • Yes that will work but why?  It is recommend that CM12 and SQL be on the same server and therefore SSRS too. So why have two different server for this? On top of that why would you use SQL 2008 as the DB engine when you are fully license for SQL 2012?

Monday, February 16, 2015 5:38 PM
  • Hi Grath,

Even i am in the same thought as you are. But the business sees that as a cost for purchasing a hardware for SQL server even though MS provides a SQL for the suit.

Any ways i will re communicate the complications to the business on the above questions, thank you for your suggestions and ideas they were really helpfull for me.

Gautam.75801

Monday, February 16, 2015 6:20 PM