Applying normalization rule over "Call Work\Mobile" shortcut in Lync 2010 client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

This is my question:

I'm using a dial plan includes set of normalization rules, in order to transfer calls to our Avaya PSTN.

When I manually dial the numbers from the "Dial a contact or dial a number" filed, the normalization rules are working properly.

But when i try to make a calls using the Lync contact "call - work" shortcut which populated by the ABS, the dialed number is not normalized.

**I do not want to normalize the Lync server ABS (I want the number to stay written "as is" and have the normalization rules translate the numbers only when dialing, the reason for that, is because our users will also use those contact cards entries for clarifying phone numbers for dial using land phones, and If I will edit those entries to be shown as normalized, the numbers will not be useable outside lync.  

Is it possible to make the dial plan normalization rules work over the "Call Work" shortcut?

For example, If I'll click on a my contact, and click "Call" and then  "work +44******" it will use my dial plan, and translate the number to what I've determined

Many thanks!

Monday, October 22, 2012 3:02 PM

Answers

• You can do it if you create Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt file.

Here is the couple of blogs that explain how you do it.

http://ucken.blogspot.com/2011/10/lync-normalization-rules-rcc-and-you.html

http://blog.schertz.name/2010/09/lync-2010-address-book-normalization/

Thank you.

Please “Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answer” if this post helped you.

• Marked as answer by AssafBA Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:03 PM
  • For example, the number in your Lync contact is + (86)189-XXXX-XXXX (number in china), it is an E.164 number. You can dial this number as it is. E.168 phone numbers don’t need to use normalization rule to translate phone number.

When you dial 189-XXXX-XXXX manually in “Dial a contact or dial a number” filed, for the number is not E.164 number, this number will match normalization in dial plan automatically. If you have create the related dial plan and normalization rule, the number will translate to + (86)189-XXXX-XXXX which is a E.164 phone number.

But if you dial +189-XXXX-XXXX manually in “Dial a contact or dial a number” filed, as this number is regards as E.164 phone number, it won’t match normalization rule, so the phone number you dial is +189-XXXX-XXXX.

If you dial + (86)189-XXXX-XXXX manually in “Dial a contact or dial a number” filed, you of course can dial the number.

So is the phone number in your Lync contact an E.164 phone number?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hello everyone,

This is my question:

I'm using a dial plan includes set of normalization rules, in order to transfer calls to our Avaya PSTN.

When I manually dial the numbers from the "Dial a contact or dial a number" filed, the normalization rules are working properly.

But when i try to make a calls using the Lync contact "call - work" shortcut which populated by the ABS, the dialed number is not normalized.

**I do not want to normalize the Lync server ABS (I want the number to stay written "as is" and have the normalization rules translate the numbers only when dialing, the reason for that, is because our users will also use those contact cards entries for clarifying phone numbers for dial using land phones, and If I will edit those entries to be shown as normalized, the numbers will not be useable outside lync.  

Is it possible to make the dial plan normalization rules work over the "Call Work" shortcut?

For example, If I'll click on a my contact, and click "Call" and then  "work +44******" it will use my dial plan, and translate the number to what I've determined

Many thanks!

<input id="6d97d3ae-20a7-41c1-9de6-86bbd772d809_attachments" type="hidden" />
    • Merged by Lisa.zheng Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:46 AM duplicate
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

If you have plus sign ahead of phone number, it is regarded as E.164 number. Then the contact number won’t match the normalization rule in dial plan. You can do a test by removing the plus sign.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Thank you for the answer,

Sorry, I'm  confused:  If I have plus sign ahead of a number, it is working when manuallay dial the numbers from the "Dial a contact or dial a number" filed.

So, if I understand correctly there is no way to make it work also when dialing via the lync contact "Shortcut" ? (We use numbers starting with "+")

Thank you.

• Unmarked as answer by AssafBA Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:34 PM
  • You can do it if you create Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt file.

Here is the couple of blogs that explain how you do it.

http://ucken.blogspot.com/2011/10/lync-normalization-rules-rcc-and-you.html

http://blog.schertz.name/2010/09/lync-2010-address-book-normalization/

Thank you.

Please “Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answer” if this post helped you.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:03 PM
  • For example, the number in your Lync contact is + (86)189-XXXX-XXXX (number in china), it is an E.164 number. You can dial this number as it is. E.168 phone numbers don’t need to use normalization rule to translate phone number.

When you dial 189-XXXX-XXXX manually in “Dial a contact or dial a number” filed, for the number is not E.164 number, this number will match normalization in dial plan automatically. If you have create the related dial plan and normalization rule, the number will translate to + (86)189-XXXX-XXXX which is a E.164 phone number.

But if you dial +189-XXXX-XXXX manually in “Dial a contact or dial a number” filed, as this number is regards as E.164 phone number, it won’t match normalization rule, so the phone number you dial is +189-XXXX-XXXX.

If you dial + (86)189-XXXX-XXXX manually in “Dial a contact or dial a number” filed, you of course can dial the number.

So is the phone number in your Lync contact an E.164 phone number?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:48 AM
  •   Thank you very much for the answers, I decided to made some normalizations via our Avaya PSTN, which solved the issue. (So for now, i'll leave the E.164 numbers in ABS as is.)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:53 AM