Exchange 2007 database RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

i have exchange 2007, the database size is 68 GB. Im trying to shrink it because im running out of disk space. i created a new database on a different partition and moved some of the mailboxes( around 10GB) but the database size didn't shrink.

what shall i do?

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:07 PM

Answers

• > is it safe to defragment to an external hard drive?

Yes while running the defrag use the /t switch and specify the external drive. The downside is it will be very slow and might take longer then usual for running defrag.

>if the white space will be used do i need to defragment it?

The white space will be used by Exchange before the databse grows further. So it will be while before the databse starts growing again depending upon the transaction you perform.

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP:EMA Exchange 2010/2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 | Exchange 2010/2007 | MCSA:Messaging/Security | MCSE:Messaging/Security
    • Marked as answer by Ahmad Kadoura Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:05 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:28 AM

All replies

• How do you know you will get any space back? Did you check Event ID 1221 first? What was that number?

"Ahmad Kadoura" wrote in message news:6d9860f5-f57b-4637-b546-579424515ddb...

HI,

i have exchange 2007, the database size is 68 GB. Im trying to shrink it because im running out of disk space. i created a new database on a different partition and moved some of the mailboxes( around 10GB) but the database size didn't shrink.

what shall i do?

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Moving mailboxes from one DB to another wont shrink the database.  You will either have to perform an offline defrag to reduce the edb size or you can move all users across and then delete the old database.  If you want 2 databases then create another database and move the users back.

If you have whitespace in the DB it will be used and your db might not grow but the physical size will remain the same.

Sukh
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:40 PM
  • it is showing that i have 10 GB of free space in the database
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:57 AM
  • i don't have enough space to move all mailboxes..and i don't have enough space to do defragmenting. is it safe to defragment to an external hard drive? and if the white space will be used do i need to defragment it?

Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:59 AM
  • > is it safe to defragment to an external hard drive?

Yes while running the defrag use the /t switch and specify the external drive. The downside is it will be very slow and might take longer then usual for running defrag.

>if the white space will be used do i need to defragment it?

The white space will be used by Exchange before the databse grows further. So it will be while before the databse starts growing again depending upon the transaction you perform.

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP:EMA Exchange 2010/2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 | Exchange 2010/2007 | MCSA:Messaging/Security | MCSE:Messaging/Security
    • Marked as answer by Ahmad Kadoura Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:05 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Why don't you split it into two DBs? If you have Exchange Standard, you are allowed to create 5 storage groups with a DB in each SG. Please post back...
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:17 PM