Private mobile number showing in contact card????? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.

Another odd Lync issue here, This time relating to users of the Mobile client. 

Some of us have installed Skype for business to our Private mobile phones,  The number of which is appearing for other users who view our contact cards.  We do not want this number to be available to others to call as it is usually our own phones and not work supplied phones. 

I looked at one of the users contact details within exchange online admin, it showed the mobile number, you go to delete it and you can't because it is synchronising with AD.  Look at AD and the number does not show at all anywhere. Just to be sure took a  look at Exchange server in house and the mobile number does not show at all.

So Lync must be providing this number to the contact card but I cannot see how to remove it without then removing other mobile numbers that we do want to keep. 

Could this issue be related to UCS (We have in house Lync and Exchange online so UCS needs to be disabled).

Any advise?

Thanks. 

Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:17 PM

Answers

• Use the ABSConfig.exe tool from the resource kit and set the Mobile Phone number to a blank value and don't require the value and apply.  Wait for User Replication and Addressbook regeneration or force it with Update-CsUserDatabase and after that finishes Update-CsAddressBook after.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Saturday, August 13, 2016 2:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alice-Wang Friday, August 26, 2016 9:51 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:45 PM

All replies

• I don't have a ton of experience with this, as most firms I work with just publish the mobile numbers.

If the user goes to Tools->Options->Phones, is "Include in my contact card" checked next to the mobile number?  Is there mobile number populated here?

Also, one fun feature you may not be aware of that's going to ruin your day is call forwarding or simultaneous ring.  If someone sim-rings their mobile number, when another Lync/Skype user calls them, they're going to see that mobile number whether the recipient wants them to or not.  Mobile numbers won't be private for long internally.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Nicholas,

Anthony is spot on about adding and removing numbers in tools for the Lync client. Additionally if you would like to change what numbers display in contact cards from Lync/SfB you can use a tool in the Resource kit called ABSconfig.

Here is a link to the technet document about the tool.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj945604.aspx#ABSConfig

Please do your reading about this tool and other tools in the resource kit as they are very picky tools.

-Don

Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:56 PM
  • The option to include in my contact card is checked and greyed out. No mobile number in the box.

Yes I know about the sim ring issue when calling a mobile :) This is currently not a problem to us as our phone system will not allow sim ring to a mobile anyway (Routing issues, to be resolved with a massive upgrade).

It did get me thinking on if I can remove the include in my contact card option.  Not sure where it is set but I bet I can find it :)

Thanks again.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:42 PM
  • Use the ABSConfig.exe tool from the resource kit and set the Mobile Phone number to a blank value and don't require the value and apply.  Wait for User Replication and Addressbook regeneration or force it with Update-CsUserDatabase and after that finishes Update-CsAddressBook after.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Saturday, August 13, 2016 2:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alice-Wang Friday, August 26, 2016 9:51 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Hi Nicholas_Farmer,

For users’ telephone number in AD, you can go to ADUC (Active Directory Users and Computers), find the Users, right click the user name, choose the Properties, if there is phone number, delete it. Then force AD replication if you have multiple AD servers.

Besides, would you please let us know where the users find your contacts which including phone number? Do they check the contact from Outlook client or the Lync client? Does it show as the source from Outlook contact? Like below:

Best regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, August 13, 2016 2:35 AM
  • Users are pulling information from the Lync Client itself. I have checked AD and there is nothing for mobile within telephone. and looking at attribute editor I cannot see anything for information provided for mobile in there.

It shows the contact as coming from both SharePoint and Outlook,.

Just in the background you can see the SharePoint details for a user in question.  it has a completely bogus telephone number setup.  I have also got user to change the telephone number within the lync client on the android device.

I look at the users contact within exchange and it does not have a telephone number published under mobile.

If I highlight call mobile within Lync/Skype it comes back with (Address Book)

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi Nicholas_Farmer,

Please try to delete the mobile phone in your SharePoint and test if the issue persists.

Best regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Alice Wang

Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:57 AM
  • Nicholas,

Could you post a picture of what attributes you have selected in ABSConfig?

-Don

Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:10 AM
  • @ Alice Wang, Unfortunately I cannot do that to a users account :( I will ask them to do it when they next log in.

@ Don See attached.

• Edited by Nicholas_Farmer Monday, August 22, 2016 12:11 PM incorrect spelling
    Monday, August 22, 2016 10:52 AM
  • Don, See above for screenshot of absconfig.

If a new user now pulls down the address book they will not see mobile.  I can still see Peters Mobile number.  Even if a user cannot see the Mobile number they will still get the option to call Mobile from the pull down and this will display the number.

I Really need to clear these numbers down and assume it must be in the Lync address book somewhere, Just not really finding enough information about it.

Thanks.

Monday, August 22, 2016 10:52 AM
  • Hi Nicholas_Farmer,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this case.

Would you please tell us did you have try to delete the phone number in your sharepoint?

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:59 AM
  • Just saw that I hadn't been back to this thread in a while.

A change of number within sharepoint did not resolve the issue. Ultimately I have blocked mobile numbers from showing in all contact cards and that seems to have got us around the problem. It hasn't resolved as you can still right hand click and choose option to call mobile. But it is not so blatantly obvious any more. Thanks.  

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:11 PM