none
Windows Server Backup - Restore OS from external USB device to new internal disk not working

Question

• Hi:

I have a server with two disks: disk 1 OS 2008 R2 (C:)(600GB) and disk 2 Data (H:)(600GB)

Disk 1 OS (C:) failed so I bought a new disk (1TB).  I have a backup using Windows Server Backup on a USB external drive.

I want to restore the OS to the new disk from the backup.

I booted from 2008 R2 install disk then after loading Windows files selected Repair and selected to restore system image.  It scanned all devices, found the backup on the external USB device then I selected to restore.

However, it only restored disk 2 (which I didn't need, i.e. it didn't give me option to only restore disk 1 OS) and after restore Windows doesn't boot, i.e. it didn't restore disk 1 OS to the new disk.  BIOS sees the new disk, as well as disk 2 data (H:).

If I disconnect disk 2 that didn't fail and try the restore, it returns an error that the disk configuration must be the same, i.e. 2 disks required.

How to restore only disk 1 OS (C:) to new disk using Windows Server Backup?

Thanks!

Bob H.

Bob Herman IT Tropolis

Thursday, April 26, 2018 12:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

Based on my knowledge, you could do the operating system restore if there's hardware failure problem.

And if you are recovering to a new hard disk, make sure the disk is at least as big as the disk that contained the volumes that were backed up, regardless of the size of those volumes. For example, if there was only one volume that was 100 GB on a 1 TB disk during backup, you should use a disk that is at least 1 TB when restoring

If you are recovering just the operating system, make sure that you have a   backup available that contains at least the critical volumes of the server.

You could also check the article below. Operating  system is similar as Bare Metal Restore  

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/05/12/bare-metal-restore/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/249694/how-to-restore-a-windows-installation-or-move-it-to-different-hardware

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Hi Mary:

Thanks for the input. 

Pre-failure:

Disk 1, OS (C:), 600GB SAS Western Dig. VelociRaptor (this disk failed)

Disk 2, Data (H:) 600GB SAS Western Dig. VelociRaptor

No RAID, just 2 independent disks, i.e. RAID turned off in BIOS.

Post Failure:

Disk 1, New SATA Disk, 1 TB

Disk 2, Data (H:) 600GB SAS (didn't fail so same disk as pre-failure state)

All other h/w is the same except that new Disk 1 is SATA not SAS, thus not in tray w/SAS controller, rather connected directly to motherboard SATA connector. 

I don't see how to restore just the OS.  When I insert Windows disk then repair then select to restore image, it doesn't give me option to restore just OS.  It starts the restore showing restoring a volume w/GUID (I guess this is Windows recovery partition?), then goes to restoring H: then server shuts down w/o restoring C:

Shouldn't it start restoring C: before H:?

Is there a way to restore only the OS w/System State?

Thank you! 

Bob Herman IT Tropolis

Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:33 PM
  • I'm considering virtualizing server w/ESXi then creating a VM w/2 disks.

Since the backup using the Windows Server Backup s/w supports Bare Metal Restore BMR, I should be able to restore from physical  server backup to vm, correct?  Has anyone done this using Windows Server Backup BMR restore?

Thanks!

Bob Herman IT Tropolis

Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:43 PM
  • Hi Bob,

I'm afraid from Microsoft, it is not recommended to restore from physical  server backup to vm.

If you need to restore  physical  server backup  to another server, it is suggested to different physical computer that has the same make, model, and configuration (identical hardware).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/249694/how-to-restore-a-windows-installation-or-move-it-to-different-hardware

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 27, 2018 2:01 AM