Second task
     - Subtask 1
     - Subtask 2
     - Subtask 3

Third task
     - Subtask 1
     - Subtask 2
     - Subtask 3

Now I want to link the three main tasks and specify work days for these, without having to include the subtasks - they are only there for displaying the order things are done.

I have been trying to do this by setting only the main tasks to automatically scheduled but when I change the days they turn to manual, and the links doesn't work anymore - the finish-to-start does not update correctly.

How can this be done?

Monday, August 20, 2018 11:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Indeed if you force the duration for a autoscheduled task, it will turn to manually scheduled task. I'd suggest not to add the subtasks if they are not really relevant for the schedule. You can always add a custom field, use the note field to add extra information. Then use the autoschedule mode for your tasks so your planning will be updated throught the dependencies.

Moreover this is not a good practice to link summary tasks. 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, August 20, 2018 11:58 AM
  • Jorgen --

In addition to the excellent response from my colleague, Guillaume, I would recommend you remove the subtasks and add them as a Note to the three main tasks.  If you are using Project Server or Project Online, your team member will be able to view these Notes on the Timesheet page or the Tasks page in PWA.  Just an additional thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, August 20, 2018 1:27 PM
  • Jergen,

Just to add to Guillaume's response, in Project a summary line, (what you are calling "main task"), is not a task at all, it is simply a summary of the performance tasks under it.

I find it interesting when you say the subtasks are only there for displaying the order of things to be done. In Project the "subtasks" are where the actual effort is expended to accomplish something (i.e. performance).

You might want to take a look at the following Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29569.ms-project-linking-andor-assigning-resources-to-summary-tasks.aspx

John

Monday, August 20, 2018 1:28 PM