USB Mouse on computer doesn't work in Normal mode RRS feed

• Question

• Jim, my USB mouse works fine in Maintenance mode but no mouse cursor shows up in Normal mode on the computer itself. t100 terminals work fine with their PS/2 mice. My HP OEM system was reinstalled with the Acacemic version and licenses to support a teacher and two student stations in an AD environment.

I have updated all the HP drivers and BIOS they list on the site, with no improvements. No "bang marks" appear in Device Manager. All Windows Updates are current. Suggestions?

Monday, October 25, 2010 12:56 AM

Answers

• For future reference, if you build another server platform:

1. Do all driver/application installations in Maintenance Mode
    2. Install the graphics driver first followed by the rest of the driver (and install all of them)
    3. After installing the t100 Display Link drivers, then connect the t100 clients into the ports directly to the m6000 unit
    4. [to use the host station as a terminal, plug the USB keyboard/mouse into those two USB ports that we discussed]

I believe you'll find a smoother transition into your workspace by following the above steps consistently.

• Marked as answer by Ashbyjm Friday, October 29, 2010 6:20 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:53 PM

All replies

• If the USB mouse is plugged directly into a port on the server, I would recommend getting hold of an additional USB hub, then plug the mouse into the hub and the hub into a port on the server. You didn't mention a usb keyboard but if you have one that you are using in conjunction with that mouse I would plug it into that same hub. It would also be interesting to know whether the keyboard works or not...for example can you use it to map a station? For that matter, it might be a good idea to go into station mapping mode to remap just to make sure there aren't any problems there.

In maintenance mode you have one big desktop and all of the mice and keyboards tend to allow you to interact with the desktop in that mode. In normal mode is where the desktop real estate gets carved up and you have to be careful about how the USB tree is laid out so that the keyboard/mouse sets are in their own unique branch of the USB tree. I liek using a tool called USBView. It is included in Debugging Tools for Windows. You can download and install DTFW on any machine then just copy usbview.exe to the WMS machine if you want to. When launched it shows a great GUI view of the USB tree, including all hubs, devices, etc. There are other tools on the Internet called USBView but I haven't played with them much since I have focused on using Microsoft tools over which we have control.

Let me know how this goes.

Jim

Monday, October 25, 2010 10:29 PM
  • I thought connecting the local mouse and keyboard via another USB hub was worthwhile, so I tried that first- managed to make the computer ignore both! I forced the shutdown, and couldn't recover booting after multiple tries with Bootrec.exe, and decided to rebuild from scratch. This time I'll use sysprep to build a better default profile early in the build, and I'll let you know if that resolves the issue with the local USB mouse.

I did get the DTFW download, so I'm ready to try that if the new image shows the same issue.

• Proposed as answer by Patrick Eason Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ashbyjm Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:05 AM
  • You'll need to ensure both the USB keyboard & mouse are on the same controller. We recommend connected them both to the ports that are beneath the NIC (there are two ports directly under the NIC).
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Thanks, Patrick...my hardware setup is entirely HP standard.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Jim, follow up after reimaging:

I started from scratch without the t100 terminals plugged in and installed a fresh Multipoint 2010 Academic Edition, HP drivers, and added printers, apps and configuration under Sysprep this time to get a default user profile set up. I joined the domain, added licenses and activations, and tried to login in Normal mode before adding t100s- USB keyboard and mouse both worked! Added two t100s, associated them, and tested multiple concurrent logins...now the AUDIO doesn't work on the local machine!

Audio works fine on the terminal devices, but on the HP Compaq 6000 in Maintenance mode only (just as I previously had with the USB mouse). When logged in to the PC as administrator in Normal mode, I see only Remote Audio as a playback source in the Sound Control Panel. The Realtek HD Audio Manager reports that no device is present. 

How do I troubleshoot the mapping of devices like this to station assignments? The logic of what's happening eludes me.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Ashbyjm - I'm not sure of your last reply. I'm referring to the fact that certain host devices in order for them to be associated and mapped into a session, require them to be off of the same root hub. So, if you do not see your USB mouse, most likely you don't have both your USB mouse & keyboard attached to USB ports that are on the same controller. To just make it simple, we recommend that both these devices - to be used as a host session - are plugged into the two USB ports which are under the NIC in the back of the system.

Furthermore, Microsoft MultiPoint OS cannot associate certain devices from your host station and therefore cannot be used when the system goes into Normal mode: such as your PS/2 keyboard/mouse and your host audio/microphone.

Since your t100 client device contains a VGA port, PS/2 keyboard/mouse, audio, microphone, all those devices are "easily" assocated into a session. Again, the exception is the host system, where these devices aren't able to be associated into a session.

I hope this clarifies your original and your current question. 

• Proposed as answer by Patrick Eason Friday, October 29, 2010 12:55 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 12:55 AM
  • Sorry about the confusion- I was trying to indicate that I followed the HP setup chart, which includes plugging the keyboard/mouse into the USB ports under the NIC. Reimaging resolved that problem.

Are you saying that the teacher working at the server should NOT be able to hear headphones that are plugged into it in Normal mode?

Friday, October 29, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Anyone that is working off a session from the host station will not be able to use the host's audio/mic. To get session audio/mic off the host unit, you will need to use a USB 2.0 hub + USB powered speakers.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:47 PM
  • For future reference, if you build another server platform:

1. Do all driver/application installations in Maintenance Mode
    2. Install the graphics driver first followed by the rest of the driver (and install all of them)
    3. After installing the t100 Display Link drivers, then connect the t100 clients into the ports directly to the m6000 unit
    4. [to use the host station as a terminal, plug the USB keyboard/mouse into those two USB ports that we discussed]

I believe you'll find a smoother transition into your workspace by following the above steps consistently.

• Marked as answer by Ashbyjm Friday, October 29, 2010 6:20 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:53 PM
  • Thanks, Patrick. The MS and Technet documents I read were clear about the inability to share audio inputs from the mic, but the headset/output docs are confusing. I'll be using the computer with an Epson Interactive Whiteboard/Projector (works in Normal mode!), but I'll find a USB solution for the sound as you suggested.

Maybe HP could publish the Volume installation steps on that insert sheet they include on downloading?

Friday, October 29, 2010 6:28 PM
  • We'll definitly get one out on the HP MultiSeat site.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 6:45 PM