none
Outlook search limited to 250 results RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently getting ready to migrate from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016. I've migrated my mailbox to do some testing and everything looks good with the exception of Outlook search results.

Searching for anything gives me only 250 results, with no option (that I can see) to show any more. I've found numerous articles from the Exchange 2013 days advising users to modify the Microsoft.Exchange.Store.Worker.exe.config file to add an app setting for MaxHitsForFullTextIndexSearches and set it to a desired value.

I've done that and bounced my Information Store service, however I still cannot exceed the 250 result limitation. I'm trying this in both Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 working in online mode (cached mode is not an option for most users in my environment) and connecting to an Exchange 2016 CU11 server. If it makes any difference all users are connecting to the server via HTTPS.

While I'm a fan of teaching my users the syntax of the Search box to better narrow down their search results, I'd still like to find a way to give a little more breathing room (say 500 results).

• Edited by JGrover Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The "Improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown" option and "SearchResultCap" registry key mentioned in this KB article only works for Cached Exchange mode.

The maximum search result limitation for OWA and online Exchange mode in Outlook is 250. There do have a workaround to bypass this limit via modifying the Microsoft.Exchange.Store.Worker.exe.config file in Exchange 2013. However, we cannot use this method for Exchange 2016, and currently there is no official way to change this limitation.

When researching this issue, we found the following method which was reported as helpful by several Exchange 2016 users. You may also have a try with it:

(Caution : Incorrect usage of the setting override cmdlets can cause serious damage to your Exchange organization. This damage could require you to reinstall Exchange. Only use these cmdlets as instructed by product documentation or under the direction of Microsoft Customer Service and Support.)

1. Create a new setting override via running the following command:

New-SettingOverride -Name "Increase Search Results Limit"

2. Complete as follows (hitting enter at Parameter [1]):

cmdlet New-SettingOverride at command pipeline position 1 Supply values for the following parameters:
    Component: ManagedStore
    Parameters[0]: MaxHitsForFullTextIndexSearches=5000
    Parameters[1]:
    Reason: "Increases Search Results limits from 250 to 5000"
    Section: StoreSettings

3. Go to Outlook, File > Options > Search, uncheck "Improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown" option and click OK.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by JGrover Friday, October 26, 2018 1:02 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:25 AM

All replies

• I remember dealing with this when we transitioned over to Office 365, I did a quick search-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2185146

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:30 PM
  • Also there was this- https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/2-means-change-remove-limit-search-results-outlook/

Sorry I always bookmark pages in folders from past projects in case I need to remember why "I Did This" or "Where was that setting again"

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:32 PM
  • Thanks. I also had tried going into the Search options in the client and clearing the box to limit results to improve performance, but nothing I've done in the client has made a difference (which is why I started looking at the server). There also is no option to show more results when doing the search.

It's worth mentioning that I do not have this issue if I configure Outlook to connect to a mailbox that's still hosted on the 2010 server; only when I connect to a mailbox on the 2016 server.

**EDIT** Saw your second post and had tried the registry entry as well (to no avail). :(
    • Edited by JGrover Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:33 PM
  • I think I missed one lol, I had this saved in another spot.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/756a024a-866e-415b-9529-9ecf8e32d3a2/outlook-2016-search-returns-no-more-than-250-items?forum=onlineservicesexchange

Look third entry down. Hopefully that helps!

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:42 PM
  • Yep, that's the thing I mentioned that I tried in my post (the Microsoft.Exchange.Store.Worker.exe.config file modification). No love, even after bouncing the Information Store service (and an iisreset, and a server reboot).
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:44 PM
  • Well then, thats just not cool lol.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

The "Improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown" option and "SearchResultCap" registry key mentioned in this KB article only works for Cached Exchange mode.

The maximum search result limitation for OWA and online Exchange mode in Outlook is 250. There do have a workaround to bypass this limit via modifying the Microsoft.Exchange.Store.Worker.exe.config file in Exchange 2013. However, we cannot use this method for Exchange 2016, and currently there is no official way to change this limitation.

When researching this issue, we found the following method which was reported as helpful by several Exchange 2016 users. You may also have a try with it:

(Caution : Incorrect usage of the setting override cmdlets can cause serious damage to your Exchange organization. This damage could require you to reinstall Exchange. Only use these cmdlets as instructed by product documentation or under the direction of Microsoft Customer Service and Support.)

1. Create a new setting override via running the following command:

New-SettingOverride -Name "Increase Search Results Limit"

2. Complete as follows (hitting enter at Parameter [1]):

cmdlet New-SettingOverride at command pipeline position 1 Supply values for the following parameters:
    Component: ManagedStore
    Parameters[0]: MaxHitsForFullTextIndexSearches=5000
    Parameters[1]:
    Reason: "Increases Search Results limits from 250 to 5000"
    Section: StoreSettings

3. Go to Outlook, File > Options > Search, uncheck "Improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown" option and click OK.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by JGrover Friday, October 26, 2018 1:02 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:25 AM
  • Thanks, Steve. That did the trick.
    Friday, October 26, 2018 1:03 PM
  • My pleasure :-) Thank you for the confirmation.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, October 29, 2018 1:43 AM