none
what is a business edition and consumer edition feature update in Windows 10 1709 version RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me the difference between "feature update to windows 10 (business editions) version 1709, en-us" and "feature update to windows 10 (consumer editions) version 1709, en-us".

I was trying to create a Windows 10 servicing plan while keeping Enterprise version as a Title. However i was not able to get update for Enterprise in windows 1709 version. I saw two update for 1709 which were for business and consumer.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can refer to a previous post:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dd580116-bb11-4664-87f0-5b70bcd7dcaf/windows-10-servicing-1709-version-is-not-shown?forum=ConfigMgrCBOSD.

Obviously Windows 1709 feature update name in SCCM has a new change:

The name of "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709, en-us"  has been replaced by "Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 1709, en-us" or "Feature update to Windows 10 (consumer editions), version 1709, en-us".

"business" means volume version ; "consumer" means retail version.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Yuxiang Shi Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Swapnil Ambre Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:04 PM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

they are renamed and distributed differently to align with the Media change as well that was made for 1709 where the following editions are part of the VL media:

Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 10 Pro N
    Windows 10 Education
    Windows 10 Education N
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    Windows 10 Enterprise N

the business editons fetaure update can be used to update the above versions.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

they are renamed and distributed differently to align with the Media change as well that was made for 1709 where the following editions are part of the VL media:

Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 10 Pro N
    Windows 10 Education
    Windows 10 Education N
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    Windows 10 Enterprise N

the business editons fetaure update can be used to update the above versions.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:02 PM
  • Thanks Jorgen,

Are they going to keep the same standard of naming the update as business edition in future also for rest of the builds.

I believe consumer edition is for home users

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

You can refer to a previous post:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dd580116-bb11-4664-87f0-5b70bcd7dcaf/windows-10-servicing-1709-version-is-not-shown?forum=ConfigMgrCBOSD.

Obviously Windows 1709 feature update name in SCCM has a new change:

The name of "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709, en-us"  has been replaced by "Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 1709, en-us" or "Feature update to Windows 10 (consumer editions), version 1709, en-us".

"business" means volume version ; "consumer" means retail version.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Yuxiang Shi Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:26 AM
  • It should be noted that OEM version of Windows 10 Pro, those that come pre-installed on a PC/laptop/tablet, will identify as "Consumer" as far as WSUS is concerned.  Considering Microsoft touts Windows 10 Pro as the OS for businesses it gets a little confusing.
    Monday, May 7, 2018 6:12 PM
  • Yes, definitely with the term, that Business is edition coming with Microsoft 365 Business which have upgrade rights to "Pro" which is "Business".
    • Edited by KazzanMVP Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:55 AM
  • YES! This makes it tricky to deploy upgrades in SCCM because CONSUMER (OEM/RETAIL) needs the consumer editions update and VOLUME needs the business update. 

SCCM does know somehow because the windows 10 servicing / all updates list - shows how many endpoints need the consumer or business updates in the required column.

When I was deploying the business update, consumer editions would come back as successful but the update was not applied.

I created a separate collection for consumer editions.

If you open a remote command prompt and run C:\windows\system32>cscript slmgr.vbs -dli

it will report VOLUME, OEM or RETAIL

Network Administrator

• Edited by DavidB2 Tuesday, July 31, 2018 1:49 PM added content
    • Proposed as answer by Ros-IT Wednesday, November 7, 2018 12:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ros-IT Wednesday, November 7, 2018 12:31 AM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2018 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

How did you identify the devices as consumer or business in order to create the collections and what's the collection query for this? 

Also what about it you deploy out both the business and consumer edition to a collection which has a mix of these devices. Is the update agent smart enough to figure this out and report back successes correctly?

Thanks

Friday, November 30, 2018 11:19 PM