none
Template with sub projects (sub templates) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have found some similar Topics, but without any useable result.

Here is the question: Is it possible to create a "master" template in MSP Server 2013 that will contain sub templates (projects)?

The reason I'm asking is that our standard projects will always contain SW, HW, Mechanics and so on. Also, many predefined tasks need to be linked according to our process definition (like task "SW freeze" in subproject "SW" -> milestone "SW delivery" in master schedule). So instead of doing it every time a new project is created, it would be nice to have a template that includes master and sub projects with predefined links.

Best regards

Boris

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:13 PM

Answers

• BorisPeters --

The definitive answer to your question is no.  No, you cannot create an enterprise template for a master project with the subprojects already inserted.  So, this means you will need to create a new blank file, insert the necessary subprojects, and then set the cross-project links.  The alternative would be through software automation, as Paul.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 17, 2014 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Boris,

I tried it in standalone mode, not with Project Server, but as far as I can see, the sub-templates will be inserted as sub-projects, meaning that doing this, when updating the sub-projects, you'll also update the sub-templates, which is not something you want to do I guess.

This would have to be tested with Project Server.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:04 PM
  • Hi Boris,

I think the best way to achieve that is by having an Event handler (triggered by Project > Created) and as soon as the Master Project is created the sub-projects will be created as well and linked with the master project

Another option would be to use ideas. When you want to create a master project, an idea(s) can be approved and the master project and the sub-projects can be created in the same time (using different EPTs) and it will be just a matter of linking the sub-projects with the master projects/tasks etc.

Hope this helps

Paul

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Thanks,

I'll give it a try.

Regard

Boris

Friday, October 17, 2014 1:17 PM
  • Thanks,

an idea that I also had. With the issue that MSP Server is telling me that I can't insert a sub project into multiple master projects. So, right now I don't see any native solution instead of scripting it by myself.

Regards,

Boris

Friday, October 17, 2014 1:22 PM
  • BorisPeters --

The definitive answer to your question is no.  No, you cannot create an enterprise template for a master project with the subprojects already inserted.  So, this means you will need to create a new blank file, insert the necessary subprojects, and then set the cross-project links.  The alternative would be through software automation, as Paul.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 17, 2014 4:03 PM