none
DPM2012 with StoragePoint & Sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello MS,

we have purchased StoragePoint to Configure RBS to sharepoint 2010 Databases. Infuture we are planning to implement DPM 2012 as backup mechanism to our sharepoint 2010 databases .

During my earlier webcasts with MS Guys they have mentioned DPM2012  do not support remote filestream and filestream stored on a \\sharelocation.

Can you confirm me Do DPM2012 supports StoragePoint(metalogix) ? or any thirdparty RBS ?

Regards , Riaz.

Monday, September 24, 2012 5:50 AM

All replies

• I am not MS but I would take a good guess that DPM does not officially support protecting StoragePoint RBS. StoragePoint can be backed up by third party products though so you may want to give it a try. If you do make sure you test and test and test recoveries.

You would need to protect the StoragePoint configuration database, content databases that your are using RBS on and the external blob store/s.

I would refer to the backup section in the Metalogix StoragePoint Administration Guide and the THIRD-PARTY BACKUP AND RECOVERY OPTIONS section in the StoragePoints backup and recovery options document found here: http://www.metalogix.com/Libraries/Product_Collateral/SharePoint_Content_Backup_And_Recovery_Options_With_StoragePoint.pdf

One thing in the Metalogix StoragePoint Administration Guide that stuck out to me is

"Always backup the BLOB store after you backup the related content database(s). This ensures that you will never have an orphaned list item (missing BLOB)."

It sounds like you will want to stagger the backup of SharePoint content DB's and the backup of the actual blob stores assuming the blob stores are on different servers/SAN etc. So your SharePoint backup and the backup of the blob store would need to be in different protection groups within DPM.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:03 AM