How can I prevent RDP from locking the host's screen? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a DJ (a VJ actually) and I have a Windows 10 laptop that I work with. I also have a Windows 10 tablet and I would like to control the laptop remotely with the tablet. Using a batch file to create a hotspot and using the RDP I can easily (and without any noticable latency) control the laptop with my tablet. Until here, everything is perfect...

BUT I also use a Matrox TripleHead2Go adapter to split the video signal of the music videos that I play onto two different projection screens (each screen displaying text in a different language). This is where the problem starts...

As soon as I connect to my laptop with my tablet, the laptop screen gets locked (which in itself is no problem: I don't need it, I working from my tablet) and that's when the Matrox adapter gets into trouble and looses the signal, rendering the projected screens blank!

So in a nutshell: I pretty sure this problem would be solved if the host computer (my laptop) would not lock its screen...

I did some googling and found out that the reason behind this behaviour (of RDP locking the host's screen) is due to licensing: Microsoft only allows one single person to access and use the same Windows OS at one time. But wouldn't locking the input  of mouse, keyboard or touch (which I think RPD does anyway) suffice?

And since nobody else is using the Windows 10 licensed laptop (there's no input) while I'm using it through the Windows 10 licensed tablet, I feel I shouldn't be forced to buy yet another license just to keep the user session on the host device open (though if that would solve the problem, I would do that because I am extremely happy with the responsiveness of RDP between two Windows 10 devices)!

I am aware of third-party remote dektop softwares, but they either have too much latency and/or some kind of popup, button or logo on screen, disturbing my DJ mixer interface.

So, is there any way for me to achieve that my laptop does NOT lock its screen when I connect to it with RDP via my tablet?

P.S. I apologize if this isn't he right forum and would request the thread be moved if needed.

• Edited by DJ Corny Monday, November 13, 2017 3:27 PM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 1:23 PM

Answers

• the controller (DJ mixer) interface is on the host computer (laptop) screen, and that is what I need to see on my client computer (tablet)
    So, cast a screen to your Tablet and put your mixer on it.  If keyboard or mouse control is a problem use MWB but AIUI you should be at least able to use it as a touch screen.   That way, you will have on your laptop: its screen (presumably primary), your two attached monitors and your mixer on your tablet's virtual monitor.  Anything else?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by DJ Corny Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:43 PM
  • I will look into that, Robert! I need to digest the info on this "casting", a technology completely new to me. But from your words, it seems it is possible to achieve what I need. I will get back here to confirm if and when I have done that. Thank you very much!

RDP is definitively not the way. Matrox support just informed me that it does not support multiple displays, so that ends there.

• Marked as answer by DJ Corny Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:25 AM

All replies

• How about trying another remote access program?

Neither Splashtop nor Teamviewer lock the host desktop when you connect. Teamviewer is free for personal use (up to a certain amount of time in a month). But once you go over that they want you to pay and it's not cheap for the professional version.

Splashtop is optimized for multimedia, so might be a better choice. It's free for local network connections but you have to pay to connect across the internet. It's only $60 a year for the pro version, though.

Monday, November 13, 2017 8:16 PM
  • Thank you for your suggestion KFGatri, but as I stated:

"I am aware of third-party remote dektop softwares, but they either have too much latency and/or some kind of popup, button or logo on screen, disturbing my DJ mixer interface."

Both softwares have that problem :(

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:20 PM
  • would like to control the laptop remotely with the tablet.

So, RDP isn't the right tool.  W10 projecting would be better.  E.g. the same tool that would allow you to control your machine's displays using your phone's touch screen...  

Apparently what I am thinking of is called Miracast Continuum.

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/62995/windows-10-mobile-tip-use-your-phone-with-an-hdtv-display 

Or maybe all that you would need is Mouse Without Borders?   E.g. you can make a Touch screen into a giant touchpad with it too.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:57 PM
  • Hi Corny,

Thanks for posting in our community. This is Vivian and I am glad to assist you with the post.

I noticed you mentioned "Using a batch file to create a hotspot", there is a new feature in Windows 10 called "Host Network" that allows you to turn your computer into a wireless hotspot. And you can refer to this article, which will guide you how to do it. here 

As you are using Windows 10, it is by design that only one user can login when using RDP. There is no other way to change the default settings. However, if you are using server on your machine, you can allow more than two sessions. Please refer to:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753650%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d4d9a518-210d-40e9-8638-77e23110cfb3/more-than-2-remote-desktop-sessions?forum=windowshpcitpros

Best regards,

Vivian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:51 AM
  • Nice! I didn't know this technology. But unfortunately, the controller (DJ mixer) interface is on the host computer (laptop) screen, and that is what I need to see on my client computer (tablet), so for my case I believ this tech is not useful. Thanks anyway. Very interesting stuff!
    • Edited by DJ Corny Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Thank you for the info, Vivian. I saw that possibility and tried it, but the problem is that you need to have a functioning Internet (Wifi) connection for it to be selectable and activatable (is that a word?). I need a direct (ad hoc) connection between my laptop and my tablet, independent of Internet or Wifi availability. Thank you anyhow for your input!
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:48 PM
  • the controller (DJ mixer) interface is on the host computer (laptop) screen, and that is what I need to see on my client computer (tablet)
    So, cast a screen to your Tablet and put your mixer on it.  If keyboard or mouse control is a problem use MWB but AIUI you should be at least able to use it as a touch screen.   That way, you will have on your laptop: its screen (presumably primary), your two attached monitors and your mixer on your tablet's virtual monitor.  Anything else?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by DJ Corny Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:43 PM
  • I will look into that, Robert! I need to digest the info on this "casting", a technology completely new to me. But from your words, it seems it is possible to achieve what I need. I will get back here to confirm if and when I have done that. Thank you very much!

RDP is definitively not the way. Matrox support just informed me that it does not support multiple displays, so that ends there.

• Marked as answer by DJ Corny Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Hi Dj..,

You were on the right path with a 3rd party remote control tool.

The problem you have using RDP is that you are effectively pulling the client screen across to your secondary device. The session is then locked on the primary device.

A remote view app will leave the session where it starts from and instead gives you the ability to view and control it.

Have you tried?

Ultravnc Free open source project with plenty of options: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ultravnc/

Or

Team viewer https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

OR the option I think will work best for you:

Use the windows built in remote assistance tool, where your second device can remote control and view the first devices session similar to the above tools, but the tool already built into windows:

• on your primary device, the one with the multi monitors
    • click start
    • then type "remote assistance", launch the Windows remote assistance app"
    • Click invite.......
    • Choose the method to get the invite to the second device
    • A temporary password will be displayed, this is the password for the invite you are taking and about to open on the second device 
    • Go you your second device with a copy of the invite and a photo or record of the password
    • Open the invite
    • Enter the password when prompted
    • You should end up remote viewing the first device from the second device
    • Go to the top menu within the remote assistance app and "request remote control" (access to the keyboard and mouse remotely of the first device.)
    • Go back to the first device and accept the request for remote control
    • Minimise the floating "remote assistance" app, this should solve the problem you had with the floating tool with other remote control apps.

We use this tool daily in an IT department to remote control users, this should work fine for what you want to achieve.

Best thing is it’s free and built into windows.

Good luck

Friday, November 17, 2017 3:44 AM