none
DPM 2010 Storage calculation for SQL Databases protection RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

anyone has DPM storage calculator for SQL Server 2005 database. 

i don't understand formula For SQL Server data:

·    Data source size x (1 + log change) / (alert threshold - .05)

its gives me  very big weird  figures.

please help me to calculate the DPM Storage for SQL databses.

Regards,

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have just upgraded to 2010 and thought the autogrow feature would be really great.

Unfortunately is it consuming huge amounts of space, especially for SQL DBs.

I have some email archives where I have 4 DBs per year, 4 years, each one about 60-100GB. I allocated about +10% for the replica and 5GB for recovery. Overnight they grew, I'm guessing it added 25% to the DB size for the replica and made recovery over double the DB size.

So now instead of something like 110+5 I have something like 125+250. Multiply this by 16 and it is now taking 5TB to protect about 1.5TB of static SQL.

Any way to adjust to 10% instead of 25% and reduce the replica ?

At the moment I cannot see any choice but to disable autogrow and go back to doing it manually which is a shame.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Try this download for DPM 2007 Volume Sizing tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=445bc0cd-fc93-480d-98f0-3a5fb05d18d0&displaylang=en&tm

“DPMvolumeSizing” gathers data for DPM volume sizing purposes and applies DPM sizing rules to obtain DPM replica and recovery point volume requirements. Scripts collect and save information in a format tuned to easily import into an Excel workbook containing DPM sizing formulas for DPM-supported workloads. The User Guide (DPMv2VolSizeTool.doc) details how to import data and use the worksheets in the DPMVolumeSizing.xlsx workbook. This tool is validated to work for Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Virtual Server, Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services workloads.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:30 PM
  • The 25% or 10GB whichever is greater is not adjustable.  however, something went terribly wrong if the RP volume grew from 5GB to 250GB overnight, that implies that something is completly overwriting those database files.  How could they be considered static, yet change that much over night ?

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:43 PM