Data Protection Manager 2007 and Dell Autoloader issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, i hope this post finds the right people, i was looking for the forum category for System Center Data Protection Manager, but there doesnt seem to be one :(

I am having major issues with backing up to tape for long term backups using my Dell 124T autoloader, and i have tried every solution i could find on many different forums. I am running DPM 2007 SP1 with the KB976542 update currently. but i have tried this without SP1, and no updates, as well as with the Hotfix for this issue, and nothing will get this working for me.

Disk to Disk works perfectly for me, i have never had an issue with that. however, when trying to do my long-term backups to tape, i get this error everytime:

DPM encountered a critical error while performing an I/O operation on the tape Network Shares-00000002 (000007L3) (Barcode - 000007L3) in Drive IBM ULTRIUM III TAPE DRIVE. (ID 30101 Details: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (0x8007045D))

Obviously the Tape name and barcode changes based on which tape it is trying to pull, but the error is always the same. I am running with the latest firmware for both my loader and drive, and have the latest DPM agent installed on the remote machines. i even went as far as changing my SCSI card's transfer speed down as far as it would go, and moved it up one speed at a time to test every speed (based on another solution i saw that helped someone else in this matter). I just cannot get to the bottom of this.

The strange thing about this error, is that there is no consistency as to when the job will fail. sometimes the tape backup will take 150GB of transferred data before it fails, other times it will only take 3GB of data when the job fails.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me, or at least point me in the right direction, i would really appreciate it. I love the Disk to Disk portion of DPM, better than any other backup solution i have used in the past, but without being able to run these tape backups for offsite storage, the greatness of Disk to Disk, just isnt enough to keep me.

Thanks in advance for any advice !

Monday, April 5, 2010 8:44 PM

Answers