none
Duplicating existing reports RRS feed

• Question

•  

I think I've asked this before, but didn't get a response.

I have developed a series of cubes which we wish to deploy to multiple customers. The reports for each customer are identical with the exception of the source data (i.e. the data source to which the report refers to is the only different factor).

As it stands today, every time we deploy reports/dashboards to a new customer, I have to rebuild each and every report for every customer because I cannot figure out how to make a copy of an existing report and simply change its datasource. This takes hours.

Am I missing something simple?

Jake

p.s. - I hacked the BSWX file once and manually updated the GUIDs for every instance of the data source ... but this was incredibly time consuming and easily prone to error.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Jake,

Hmm, that does present a difficult situation considering M&A's present architecture. If each client has their own relational DW DB and their own SSAS DB this can be quite tedious (as you've found). No particular, out-of-the-box solution immediately springs to mind that you've overlooked. I'm sure there would be some more customised soution that we could come up with; maybe some sort of dashboard-generating code that would create a new, unique set of element definitions for each customer based on a master (template) set. Naturally, that in-turn presents a potential administrative nightmare down the road when definitions change... but I guess you're managing that kind of stuff as well for the relational and multi-dimensional DBs definitions too?

Sorry I am not of more help here. If I think of anything creative I'll post it.

Cheers,

Nick

• Marked as answer by AseemN Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:41 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 1:01 AM

All replies

• Jake, when you "deploy to multiple customers" are you doing this on the same instance of PPS? If that's the case you would potentially have to duplicate everything.

If each customer has their own hardware and hence complete separation I don't see the need for the rework pain you're going through. Can you provide a bit more background / context to the situation you're in.

Cheers,

Nick

Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:47 PM
  • For the time being we will be deploying all reports from the same instance of PPS. The idea of duplicating everything is certainly not appealing when a simple switch of the data source would accomplish it in one fell swoop.

Here's some more background:

The back end will consist of a single server where the SSAS and SQL Server will reside. It is on this server where all our clients' data warehouses and cubes will reside.

There will be one or more Sharepoint portals/pages which will host the dashboards/reports.

Providing a distinct PPS server for each client is probably not an option for the foreseeable future (if at all, the licensing schema is not very favourable).

Friday, December 5, 2008 1:27 PM
  • Hi Jake,

Hmm, that does present a difficult situation considering M&A's present architecture. If each client has their own relational DW DB and their own SSAS DB this can be quite tedious (as you've found). No particular, out-of-the-box solution immediately springs to mind that you've overlooked. I'm sure there would be some more customised soution that we could come up with; maybe some sort of dashboard-generating code that would create a new, unique set of element definitions for each customer based on a master (template) set. Naturally, that in-turn presents a potential administrative nightmare down the road when definitions change... but I guess you're managing that kind of stuff as well for the relational and multi-dimensional DBs definitions too?

Sorry I am not of more help here. If I think of anything creative I'll post it.

Cheers,

Nick

• Marked as answer by AseemN Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:41 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Thanks Nick.

I had a suspicion this was the case but was hoping I was overlooking something.

Jake

Monday, December 8, 2008 1:41 PM