Outlook Connections to Exchange Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a terminal Server for staff working from home and they all use Office 2016 and connect to the internal Exchange Server 2013 (Same internal network)

I have noticed that we are having a lot of connection issues (slowness, prompting for passwords, ect)

When i do an Outlook Connection status all connections are via RPC/HTTP to our OWA address, outlook.domainname.com for both internal and external

Is this correct ?????

C.D.I.T

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 11:36 PM

Answers

• It's not wrong.

but when you connect internally (VPN or another RDS method) you can use internal url instead of external url.

Thursday, April 16, 2020 2:00 AM
  • Hi C.D.I.T,

Do you have any event log in the event viewer or error prompt when these connection issues occur? They will be helpful to troubleshoot.

And what’s the detailed phenomenon about prompting for passwords?

Do these connection issues occur only in  the owa or both in the outlook and owa?

You can refer to the following points to check whether they can be helpful to your issue:

a. Please test outlook Anywhere connectivity in Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer.

b. Check if Outlook Anywhere host names are added in the certificate:

Get-Outlookanywhere |FL *hostname

c. I found some articles about troubleshooting prompting for passwords, hope they can be helpful for you:

Why does Outlook keep prompting for password

Password prompt at every Outlook start or can't create profile

d. You can also try using MAPI over HTTP protocol for client connections and check if it can resolve your issue, here attach the configuration documents for your reference:

MAPI over HTTP

Exchange 2013: MAPI over HTTP

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Vincy Cao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:40 AM

All replies

• It's not wrong.

but when you connect internally (VPN or another RDS method) you can use internal url instead of external url.

Thursday, April 16, 2020 2:00 AM
  • Hi C.D.I.T,

Do you have any event log in the event viewer or error prompt when these connection issues occur? They will be helpful to troubleshoot.

And what’s the detailed phenomenon about prompting for passwords?

Do these connection issues occur only in  the owa or both in the outlook and owa?

You can refer to the following points to check whether they can be helpful to your issue:

a. Please test outlook Anywhere connectivity in Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer.

b. Check if Outlook Anywhere host names are added in the certificate:

Get-Outlookanywhere |FL *hostname

c. I found some articles about troubleshooting prompting for passwords, hope they can be helpful for you:

Why does Outlook keep prompting for password

Password prompt at every Outlook start or can't create profile

d. You can also try using MAPI over HTTP protocol for client connections and check if it can resolve your issue, here attach the configuration documents for your reference:

MAPI over HTTP

Exchange 2013: MAPI over HTTP

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Vincy Cao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:40 AM
  • Thank you for the reply, the clients are all configured by auto discovery so i dont really have the option to change the connection type.

I will look at those articles and report back.

Appreciate the assistance.

C.D.I.T

Friday, April 17, 2020 12:30 AM
  • The response from Get-Outlookanywhere |FL *hostname

External Hostname - outlook.domainname.com.au

Internal-Hostname - outlook.domainname.com.au

C.D.I.T

Friday, April 17, 2020 12:33 AM
  • Hi C.D.I.T,

Please use the following command to check the SAN of certificate, and make sure the “outlook.domainname.com.au” host name has been added into the certificate.

Get-ExchangeCertificate | fl DnsNameList
    What’s the result of testing outlook connectivity?  It will test client Outlook Anywhere connectivity. And did the articles about troubleshooting prompting for passwords provided in previous posts work for you?

In addition, you can provide more error logs or error prompt about the connection issues that you are facing in the next post, any of them will be helpful to locate the question. 

Regards,

Vincy Cao

Friday, April 24, 2020 9:44 AM
  • I have built a terminal Server for staff working from home and they all use Office 2016 and connect to the internal Exchange Server 2013 (Same internal network)

I have noticed that we are having a lot of connection issues (slowness, prompting for passwords, ect)

When i do an Outlook Connection status all connections are via RPC/HTTP to our OWA address, outlook.domainname.com for both internal and external

Is this correct ?????

C.D.I.T

If they are in online mode or the server is being overwhelmed, then this sounds normal. Its probably not related to any Outlook Anywhere settings or certificate issues otherwise they wouldnt be able to connect at all. Why not have them simply connect remotely through Outlook Anywhere rather than using a Terminal Server?
    Friday, April 24, 2020 11:29 AM