none
Why is it not possible to map multiple network drives to the same share as different users from single machine without manipulating the share name? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a unusual case where I need to setup two mapped network drives as two different users to the same share location. When I attempt to map the second drive after inputting the user name and password the system goes on its merry way for a few seconds and then returns me back to the username/password input.

If I change the second mapped network drive to use the IP address the two shares work happily. If I manipulate the host file and point two paths to the same address then I can also work around this problem. However, I would simply like to know why I am blocked from setting two mapped drives to point to the same share with different credentials? 

e.g.

TestFolder on TestServer is shared to TestUser1 & TestUser2 where the IP of TestServer is 192.168.0.2.

Case1

If I map S: to \\TestServer\TestFolder using TestUser1, if I then map T: to \\TestServer\TestFolder using TestUser2 it will not work. 

Case2

Mapping S: to \\TestServer\TestFolder using TestUser1, if I then map T: to \\192.168.0.2\TestFolder using TestUser2 it will work and I can access the folder as the two different users.

Case 3

If I map S: to \\TestServer\TestFolder using TestUser1, if I then map T: to \\TestServer\TestFolder using TestUser1 it will also work (but I am accessing S: & T: as the same user). 

Why do cases 2 + 3 work, but case 1 does not? 

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Tesmond,

According to your description, it seems that there is a DNS resolve issue when User2 access to test server.

Before going further, I'd like to ask the following questions:

Is there a domain in your current environment ?

When using testuser2, Could you ping Test Server name successful ?

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

I am not sure you are understanding the nature of the question.

Please create a test machine with 2 user accounts, share a folder on it, then on the same test machine try test case 2 mapping the drives (no domain or actual networking required). I believe you will easily replicate this issue on any windows 7 machine.

I have not tested this on Windows 8+ but I suspect that the Windows credential manager has a bug which prevents it from handling a many to one relationship in respect to mapped network drives.

Friday, September 11, 2015 10:26 AM