SteadyState updating with laptops RRS feed

• Question

• Have been using Shared Computer Toolkit to manage a fleet of laptops that are loaned out to users for 3 hour blocks of time.  Am moving to SteadyState for the same laptops.

One difficulty with both SCT and SS is accomplishing automatic updates on laptops that are shutdown a good deal of the time.  They are not on (booted) overnight or in between loans to users, but are on when loaned out (or with me for manual maintenance).

I also want to approve which updates install.  For example, I do not have Outlook or Outlook Express installed- all users use the same shared account, thus no personalization of Outlook is possible - so I don't want updates for those.  Nor do I want to update from IE 6 to IE 7 (yet), so I don't want that auto-updated.

Any suggestions for scheduling auto updates in this context?

Thanks,

kcamp0

Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:38 PM

Answers

•  

WSUS (Windows Server Update Service) will allow you to approve and disapprove updates.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

Check the BIOS of your laptops and see if they support an Auto On Feature.  If they do you can have the laptops power up at midnight for the auto update process, then run the shutdown command from task scheduler to turn the computers back off.

Monday, August 20, 2007 4:45 AM