Trouble with Windows Media Player RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 Home Premium.  No obvious problems with Windows Media Player for the 2 years I've owned until recently when trying to listen to a web seminar I downloaded.  States required codec is not installed.  However, my brother-in-law has the same exact setup as mine, same bit, WMP setup, everything, and he has no problem with downloading and playing the exact same webinar.  I can download the webinar to USB and play in another computer (a computer with the exact same setup as mine) w/o problem, so I know it's not a bad file.  I did run a fix from MS 2 weeks ago, but it did not take care of the problem.  Someone has mentioned WMP may need to be reloaded.  Is this my only option, and if so, how do I do that and do it w/o losing my music?
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 1:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you check whether you have installed the right codecs

How to determine which codec is installed and how to install it automatically?

a. To determine what codec was used with a specific file, play the file in the Player, if possible. While the file is playing, right-click the file in the library, and then click Properties.

b. On the File tab, look at the Audio codec and Video codec sections. Download and install Codecs by go to the PLAYER tab and check. 

c. Connect to the Internet and Download Codecs Automatically.

For more information on codecs refer to the articles below:

Codecs: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/codecs-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 4, 2013 3:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you check whether you have installed the right codecs

How to determine which codec is installed and how to install it automatically?

a. To determine what codec was used with a specific file, play the file in the Player, if possible. While the file is playing, right-click the file in the library, and then click Properties.

b. On the File tab, look at the Audio codec and Video codec sections. Download and install Codecs by go to the PLAYER tab and check. 

c. Connect to the Internet and Download Codecs Automatically.

For more information on codecs refer to the articles below:

Codecs: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/codecs-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 4, 2013 3:50 AM
  • Thank you.  I tried this but am unable to get the video to play.  however, I was able to click on the downloaded file in the list in WMP and get the properties that way.  It had a dash where the video codec and audio codec are displayed. 
    Monday, March 11, 2013 1:27 PM