none
Releasing Shadows & Deleting Shadows with DISKSHADOW erased recovery points in DPM RRS feed

• Question

• BACKSTORY:

Online and Disk recovery points are failing with this error:

The operation attempted cannot be performed at this time because a backup or restore operation is currently running. (ID 100049)

When logged into the DPM server, run CMD as an administrator.

Type DISKSHADOW

(View command options here: http://danblee.com/diskshadow-vssadmins-best-friend/)

I usually list the shadows to see how many are sitting there.

LIST SHADOWS ALL

This shows all shadows in the DPM server.  I am NOT sure if these are all active shadows or if these are all inactive and active shadows.  However, deleting these allows DPM to run new recovery points without thinking the job is already running. 

DELETE SHADOWS ALL

Then rebooting the server restarts all the DPM, SQL and VSS services required by DPM to accomplish backups and restore points.

On Jan 13, 2016, we noticed that the DISKSHADOW > DELETE SHADOWS ALL causes all disk recovery points to become missing in DPM our DPM server's Administrator Console.  We are wondering if the DPM database gets “tampered with” when this command runs, or if the recovery points on the disk actually are deleted.

QUESTIONS:

1) Does DISKSHADOW> DELETE SHADOWS ALL in fact mess up DPM in some way?

2) When using DISKSHADOW> LIST SHADOWS ALL, are all of these shadows actively being created or are they also shadows in the DPM database, waiting dormant until a new shadow copy is requested?

3) Many VSS Shadows say “Attributes: Auto_Release Differential”.  Others say, “No_Auto_Release Persistent No_Writers Differential”.  Is it possible to get DPM to release shadows appropriately??  Deleting shadows and rebooting EVERY DAY is not conducive to business, not to mention the above issue that it has been causing recovery points to go missing!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:16 PM

All replies

• Since DPM whole backend runs using VSS Shadow Copies I would of thought this was literally deleting your backup data.

Have you logged with support?  If you have MSFT Premier Azure Support is free so long as its not your on-prem solution thats at fault.

Friday, January 15, 2016 5:52 PM
  • I have not created a support case with Microsoft. But I have made some headway.  I was able to reduce the number of these errors to about 30 per day.  I believe by reducing the number of online backup schedules that overlap, I have avoided many of these problems. I think these last 30 are still "tripping over each other".  

Also, it probably helped that I updated to DPM 2012 R2 UR8 on all DPM servers and updated all of their MARS agents to the latest versions.

David Jenner IT Systems Engineer Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Monday, June 13, 2016 6:25 PM