Public Access Stations Need a Steady State Alternative under Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• Our public library wants to move to Windows 7 but we rely heavily on Steady State 2.5 for our current XP stations.  Since Steady State seems to be abanonded my Microsoft for Win7 would anyone like to porpose an alternative product?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, October 12, 2009 7:37 PM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:52 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.  Until I can find an alternative, beyond writing policy for each non domain based computer accessed by the public, Win 7 is a no go for our library.  Please continue to make the case that Steady State was useful for pulic access computers for places like our public library with no funds to purchase anything else to replace it.
    • Proposed as answer by Jeremy Langley Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    1st you would need to evaluate Steady State 2.5 for 'possible issues' on Windows 7. Even if the software has been abanonded there are workarounds to address any incompatiblity issues.
    You could approach any one of the Microsoft ACP partners in your region for thier expert advice.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:23 AM
  • Hi, I would like to inform you that at present, Windows SteadyState does NOT Support Win7, and there are no current plans to do so. We are now collecting specific feedback to try and make a case for possibly changing this decision.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Sorry for misleading - I was not aware Steady State was a product of MSFT. My reply doesnt count as a  valid one then.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:46 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Until I can find an alternative, beyond writing policy for each non domain based computer accessed by the public, Win 7 is a no go for our library.  Please continue to make the case that Steady State was useful for pulic access computers for places like our public library with no funds to purchase anything else to replace it.
    • Proposed as answer by Jeremy Langley Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:51 AM
  • Deep Freeze by Faronics supports win 7.  I have used them for previous versions of windows and it works wonderfully.

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy Langley Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:45 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Thanks I'll take a look.  We had evaluated Alteris Protect but the per seat license was more than our public library could absorb in cost.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Hello, We will wait on buying new pc's at our company until Windows 7 supports Steady State. Please let us know when!
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:39 PM
  • I have 400+ PCS in public use areas running Xp PRO, SP3, and I rely HEAVILY on Steady State 2.5. Unless Microsoft provides me an altrernative, these PCS shall remain at XP...

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Sign me up, for the renewal of steady state
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Hi, I would like to inform you that at present, Windows SteadyState does NOT Support Win7, and there are no current plans to do so. We are now collecting specific feedback to try and make a case for possibly changing this decision.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT

Anything new yet?? We rely on Steady State for our public kiosks running XP, but we are now starting to use Win7 on all our new machines.

EDIT: I only just started testing, but I was able to install SteadyState 2.5 on Windows 7 Pro using compatibility mode. So far, so good!

Jonathan Hall
    • Proposed as answer by Jonathan Hall Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:04 PM
    Sean Zhu - MSFT

Hi 

Also run public access computers for a charity that cannot afford premium alternatives to MS SteadyState. We made the nieve decision to add some Win7 machines to our system. When I realised SteadyState was not supported, I turned to COMODO TimeMachine for these machines. 

TimeMachine if probably sufficiently secure for my needs as computer access in my organisation is strictly member only and under the supervision of a teacher. However time machin allows me only to revert the computer's hard drive to a steady state automatically on reboot and offers no sandboxing capabilities that I know of. This means that somebody could potentially write to the boot sector of the hard drive, create hidden partitions to hide malware or simply destroy all the data on the drive. It is for this reason that I urge Microsoft to reconsider further development of SteadyState, a simpler and more adequate solution for public access computers.

In the meen time, fellow system admins can check out COMODO TimeMachine here (http://www.comodo.com/home/data-storage-encryption/data-recovery.php).

As long as you configure it correctly, make it invisible to the end user (you can disable boot screen logo and system tray shortcut) and combine it with a good antivirus, firewall and maybe sandbox all programs with sandboxie, you should be pretty much protected from anything but a profesional targeted attack.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:19 AM
  • I'm at a school with a few hundred PCs that use a product called Drive Vaccine by Horizon Datasys. It's actually pretty easy to mange on all the hundreds of machines and has something like Group Policies using their Groups thingie in the remote management console. It also allows for something like SteadyState's profiles too. Anyway, I don't want to sound like an ad. It meets our needs.

I know that this company also has a stripped down version of Drive Vaccine as freeware called Reboot restore or something too.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:25 PM
  • I know this thread is a bit old, but wanted to give my two cents.  As WillieDram, we too use drive vaccine for our clients that need their public access computers to restore to the same state upon reboot.  Since Steady state is no longer going to work we came across the program Drive vaccine, and so we tested it  out for a month and this seems to work great for that you are seekings.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:46 AM