none
Project Server 2010 Application Service Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a similar problem.

I have one app/front end server, one app server for Project 2010 and a sql server.  I'm not sure that the Queue and Events service should be running on both servers to start with.  It runs fine on the app/front end box but is disabled on the app box.  Also when I try to stop and restart the Project App Service on the app only server, it hangs when stopping.  When I close out of CA and look again, it is stopped.  The same happens when I try to restart the App Service.  A little puzzled as to whether or not this is normal behavior. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Scott

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:45 PM

All replies

• Scott this is not an expected behavior. Have you deployed a Cumulative Update lately? Any errors in the ULS?

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:47 PM
  • Christophe,

I have to mention that this is a new deployment for us here and a first for me as well. That said, I don't recall deploying any Project updates but just to be sure, how would I be able to tell?  I have installed SP1 for SharePoint. 

Thanks for your reply.

Scott

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:53 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Server running with Project Application service is considered as Application server for Project Server.

When you try to stop the service , generally it takes few minutes to do so.

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:48 AM
  • So should the Queue and Events services be running on the project app server, the sharepoint FE or on both.  It is currently disabled on the Project server.

Thanks

Scott

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:17 AM
  • Hi Scott,

given that you have 1 Web, 1 App, 1 SQL, you would run the Project Server app service on the APP Server.

in SPCA - Services on Servers > stop it on the Web server.

if you have "tweaked" the Windows Services for Q and Events, then you should stop them on the Web and start both on the App.

Hope that helps.

P.S. you "could" run the Project Server Service on both servers, but probably you want the configuration I outlined.  That would be the customary way to run Project Server.

Thanks, Eric S. http://www.pcubed.com

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:57 AM
  • When you install Project Server in the farm, you have to install Project binaries or in another words you have to execute project server setup files on each server except database server

Once binaries are installed, you have to execute SharePoint Configuration wizard on each server one by one starting from server running SharePoint Central admin

I am assuming you have completed this step, could you please confirm?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Hrishi,

Yes,  All binaries have been installed and are working.  In an effort to insure my configuration is correct before letting the system go into production, I wanted to be sure that evertythng was configured correctly. 

Since the Project Server App Service is installed on both servers and the Queue and Events Windows Services are on both servers, where should these services be running.  On the App server or the front end server?  

Scott

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Thanks for the confirmation Scott.

Since binaries are installed on each server, you can see the project queue and event service listed under services.msc console. However default status is disabled. When you start the Project Server Application Service from Central admin by selecting the server from the farm, in the backend project server queue and event service will be started on selected server only.

Project Application Service should be running on application server.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hrishi,

That's what I thought.  The service app concept can be a little confusing at times but it makes perfect sense now.  Things are configured and seem to be working well.    

Thanks for all your assistance.

Scott

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Gald I could help.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:21 PM