Remove all restore points in one go without affecting Windows Backup data RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to remove all the system restore points in one go? 

At this point if you disable System Restore it deletes them all but it also removes any Windows Backup data as well because it removes the Volume Shadow Copy data.  Is there a way to avoid that from occuring?

This is something that has to be scripted/automated.

I've thought about WMI but I can't find the specific routine that may allow this to occur.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:16 PM

Answers

• Sorry for my late response.

Noel Carboni,

I clean up malware infections for the majority of my users.  Clearing restore points tend to be a standard practice if one or more of them happen to be infected.  This prevents reinfection due to the user utilized an infected restore point.

Shawn B. Keene,

This is not for space as Windows does delete old restore points when space becomes an issue.

Arthur Xie,

I'm not sure that those commands will work out.  We want to do this without removing the backup data which lies in the VSS which is part of the problem at this point.  We are still researching an optimal method to remove restore points without affecting Windows Backup (a seperate feature) data as well.

Hi,

You may try it, then please let us know if it works. There are no other methods to delete restore points via command line. You may try to make a script for it. For more assistance on script, please discuss in our Script Center forum.

The Official Scripting Guys Forum!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, September 13, 2010 8:02 AM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:58 AM

All replies

• Why not create a script to periodically delete the sys restore points located in 'System Volume Information'?
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:57 PM
  • The scripts would run as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM due to our remote being elevated and we script most everything.  What's the best approach to working this out?

Currently the scripts we do use has impersonation code to switch to the logged on user and run the script as that user.  We script most tasks done via remote control for logging and auditing purposes.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:26 PM
  • I'm curious, why do you want to remove all the restore points?  Are you trying to keep a user from restoring their computer to a prior version?  Can't that be blocked by permissions?

-Noel

Friday, September 3, 2010 4:11 AM
  • I'm thinking the same as Noel... and if you want the Restore Points to use less space, you can either configure it to create a Restore Point less often (task scheduler) or reduce the space used (system properties).

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Friday, September 3, 2010 2:36 PM
  • You can try the command “vssadmin delete shadows”.

Vssadmin delete shadows 

Or you can try “vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage” command. All the restore points will be remove after running this command.

Vssadmin resize shadowstorage

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 6, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to check how things are going. Have you get the issues resolved?

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:53 AM

Noel Carboni,

I clean up malware infections for the majority of my users.  Clearing restore points tend to be a standard practice if one or more of them happen to be infected.  This prevents reinfection due to the user utilized an infected restore point.

Shawn B. Keene,

This is not for space as Windows does delete old restore points when space becomes an issue.

Arthur Xie,

I'm not sure that those commands will work out.  We want to do this without removing the backup data which lies in the VSS which is part of the problem at this point.  We are still researching an optimal method to remove restore points without affecting Windows Backup (a seperate feature) data as well.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:45 PM

Noel Carboni,

Shawn B. Keene,

Arthur Xie,

Hi,

You may try it, then please let us know if it works. There are no other methods to delete restore points via command line. You may try to make a script for it. For more assistance on script, please discuss in our Script Center forum.

The Official Scripting Guys Forum!

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, September 13, 2010 8:02 AM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:58 AM