12072 error on Server 2012 R2 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I have a configuration of Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 as the host box. From there I have a VMServer 2008 R2 that runs my AD, DNS and DHCP roles. I also have a Server 2012 R2 Standard that has WDS and WSUS (and IIS since WSUS needed it to install).

I have my update repositories (UpdateServicesPackages  and WsusContent) on a network drive. 

My client devices (one VM Windows 7 pro, two physical Windows 7 pro and  one VM Windows 10 pro) can see the updates but are unable to download them. I have made sure my content folder has the repositories in it (over 34gb of data) and the server can see the clients.

Can someone help point me in the right direction of what I could be missing?

I know I am having difficulties understanding who gets what permissions where. I feel it is an IIS issue but I have spent a few good hours troubleshooting with no positive results. 

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, January 7, 2016 1:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have my update repositories (UpdateServicesPackages  and WsusContent) on a network drive. 

"network drive" ??

can you elaborate a little? WSUS "requires storage to be local" (although there's no good definition of what MSFT mean by that phrase)

IIS has to be able to access the WSUSContent folders/files so that it can serve the content to clients - depending upon how you've set things up, and the account/context of the IIS app-pool etc, maybe it's that at fault?

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:33 AM
  • By network drive I mean the content folder is located on \\server\\folder\\wsus\\WSUSContent

I have granted IIS access to the WSUSContent folder but I do not believe I have messed with the IIS app-pool. The video tutorials that I watched did no show any information to configure those. Maybe that is my disconnect.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Hi TheUsD,

> I have my update repositories (UpdateServicesPackages  and WsusContent) on a network drive. 

It is not recommended to use network drives to store WsusContent. The content needs to be stored on local volume.

You may click the following post to check the detailed information:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2ed19215-8f63-44e2-b34b-e244c2283732/windows-server-2012-wsus-problem?forum=winserverwsus

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by TheUsD Friday, January 8, 2016 3:31 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Hi TheUsD,

It is not recommended to use network drives to store WsusContent. The content needs to be stored on local volume.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

This fixed my issue, however I was looking at my companies WSUS Role that is installed on a SBS 2011 server and I noticed that the storage folder was pointed to a network path which was a shared drive like I had created and attempted to apply in my personal environment.

Can anyone explain why this would be? Do I need to provide better information on this?

Friday, January 8, 2016 3:34 PM
  • Hi TheUsD,

If we store updates in a network path, it may cause permission issues. Usually, we need to make the folder that stores updates to be shared to everyone.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:15 AM