none
cortana\search does not work on an enterprise network

Question

• Hello. I have a brand new, out of the box Windows 10 Pro laptop. All I did was run the initial setup, join my work domain (server 2008 R2)and sign in. The desktop search/Cortana feature does not do anything (I can't even type into it). We still run Windows 7 Enterprise workstations, so there have been no Group Policies setup related to 8, 8.1 or 10. Windows updates says everything is current. Any ideas why the search box wont work?
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:30 PM

Answers

• No, there are still no error messages. When I click on a tile to open an app, the tile turns dark blue and what looks like a white progress bar draws quickly across the bottom of the tile. That is all that happens. The tile stays dark blue, and nothing else happens.

I did reload Windows 10 LTSB to get rid of the broken apps and in doing so noticed that the search feature worked *until* I joined the domain. That required a restart at which point an action message was telling me that the computer needed to be rebooted again to disable UAC. After that reboot is when I noticed that the search feature had stopped working, so in AD I moved the computer out to a catch-all OU that does not get anything but a few access policies applied and ran gpupdate /force again. This time the action center said that the computer needed to be rebooted to *enable* UAC. After that reboot, the search feature worked again.

Does UAC affect launching an application?

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hello

Firstly, since this is a new imaged PC, please install all updates and check this issue for good measure, some known issues about Cortana already got fixed recently.

And if the issue persists, there are two things you need to check. If there is local account exists on this device, check that if it is linked with same Microsoft account. One device doesn’t allow multiple account using same Microsoft account.

There is a group policy controlling that if domain user can using Microsoft account.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj966262.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards, Regin Ravi

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:11 PM
  • Hi lavinrc,

Is it available to open other metro apps such as the Microsoft Edge? Have you got any error message or are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System, Application and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Apps)?

Please try the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.
    1.Run the built-in troubleshooter tool to have a diagnostic.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Store Apps
    2.Open an administrator powershell command line and run the following command to register all the store apps.
    Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    3.Try to login with another domain account and a local account.

I suspect the issue could be related to the permission. We could refer to the following link to check the permission configuration. Though the link is for Windows 8.1, the theory should be applied to Windows 10.
    Windows 8.1 Store Apps Won’t Open (Or Close Immediately) when logged on as a domain user. Make it stop! (Updated 3/14/2015)
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ouc1too/2014/07/22/windows-8-1-store-apps-wont-open-or-close-immediately-when-logged-on-as-a-domain-user-make-it-stop/

In addition, we could refer to the following link to use Process monitor to look for "Access denied" error.
    Using Process Monitor to solve any problem, including DebugDiag
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjaminperkins/2013/05/03/using-process-monitor-to-solve-any-problem-including-debugdiag/

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Thank you for all of those support links and suggestions, but none of them changed anything. Local accounts or domain accounts, the packages are already registered, and re-registering them had no effect. The permissions on registry keys and folders are all correct, gpresult shows no entries for registry access, and process monitor didn't help as I have no idea what error to be looking for. If I select *any* windows app (mail, Skype. groove etc.) I see what looks like a progress bar draw across the bottom of the tile, like it's trying to do something, but then it just leaves that tile a darker background color and nothing happens. No error message, no app opening up, nothing.

Is there a way to simply remove all of these non-functional apps? At work, I don't need any of these anyway.

Monday, March 20, 2017 5:32 PM
  • Hi  lavinrc,

Have you got any error message or are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System, Application and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Apps)?

"process monitor didn't help as I have no idea what error to be looking for"
    Look for the result "access denied".

"Is there a way to simply remove all of these non-functional apps?"
    Open an administrator command line and run "get-appxpackage" to get a list of all the built-in metro apps.
    For present account:
    Get-AppxPackage *appname* | Remove-AppxPackage (replace appname with the app you want to remove)
    For new user account:
    Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like "*appname*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:24 AM
  • Thank you for that update. I do see that Process Monitor lists the following error:

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\Schemas

as an 'Access Denied' at the moment that I click on the start button (*before* I try to open an app). I have tried adding ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES for Full permission for that registry entry, but still no luck.

running Get-AppXPackage only returns these 4 entries:

Name              : windows.immersivecontrolpanel
    Publisher         : CN=Microsoft Windows, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US
    Architecture      : Neutral
    ResourceId        : neutral
    Version           : 6.2.0.0
    PackageFullName   : windows.immersivecontrolpanel_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    InstallLocation   : C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel
    IsFramework       : False
    PackageFamilyName : windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy
    PublisherId       : cw5n1h2txyewy
    IsResourcePackage : False
    IsBundle          : False
    IsDevelopmentMode : False

Name              : Windows.MiracastView
    Publisher         : CN=Microsoft Windows, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US
    Version           : 6.3.0.0
    PackageFullName   : Windows.MiracastView_6.3.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    InstallLocation   : C:\Windows\MiracastView
    PackageFamilyName : Windows.MiracastView_cw5n1h2txyewy

Name              : Windows.PrintDialog
    Version           : 6.2.0.0
    PackageFullName   : Windows.PrintDialog_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    InstallLocation   : C:\Windows\PrintDialog
    PackageFamilyName : Windows.PrintDialog_cw5n1h2txyewy

Name              : Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost
    Version           : 10.0.14393.953
    PackageFullName   : Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.14393.953_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    InstallLocation   : C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy
    PackageFamilyName : Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy

Would it be the 'ShellExperienceHost' that I remove?

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:47 PM
  • Hi lavinrc,

Have you got any error message or are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System, Application and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Apps)?

You may consider to perform an in-place upgrade repair. It should be more efficient. An in-place upgrade repair won`t affect your personal data and programs.
    Boot from a Windows 10 Pro ISO and choose "Upgrade" install.

If you want to troubleshoot the issue deeply, please upload the Process Monitor result to OneDrive and paste the link here. I will try to analyze the issue deeply for you.

Best regards

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:57 AM
  • No, there are still no error messages. When I click on a tile to open an app, the tile turns dark blue and what looks like a white progress bar draws quickly across the bottom of the tile. That is all that happens. The tile stays dark blue, and nothing else happens.

I did reload Windows 10 LTSB to get rid of the broken apps and in doing so noticed that the search feature worked *until* I joined the domain. That required a restart at which point an action message was telling me that the computer needed to be rebooted again to disable UAC. After that reboot is when I noticed that the search feature had stopped working, so in AD I moved the computer out to a catch-all OU that does not get anything but a few access policies applied and ran gpupdate /force again. This time the action center said that the computer needed to be rebooted to *enable* UAC. After that reboot, the search feature worked again.

Does UAC affect launching an application?

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:30 PM
  • Hi lavinrc,

I am glad the issue has been resolved and thanks for updating.

Yes, the UAC should be enabled for those metro apps.

Best regards

Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Hi lavinrc Do you know what your GP settings were for UAC? If you do please post them here. Warren
    Monday, April 3, 2017 5:05 PM