Windows Update won't find updates and gets stuck forever and server missing from Server Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2012 R2 server that runs Hyper-V role and that is pretty much it. Sometime after the February updates it will no longer run a successful search for updates via the Windows Update Control Panel. I tried from my internal WSUS as well as from public WU server with same result. It just gets stuck at Checking for updates. It gets stuck to the degree that I can't cancel it or shut down Windows Update service. All I can do is reboot server. I have tried deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder to allow it to be recreated and it didn't help at all.

Another note in this server in question no longer shows in server manager on the local machine. Even if I try to add / remove roles I can't select or search for the local server. Not sure if that is related or not I followed some instructions Windows 10 managing 2012 R2 Hyper-V issue.

Any suggestions appreciated. It is difficult to troubleshoot since it requires reboot of Hyper-V server that isn't clustered.

Brian Hoyt

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:19 PM

Answers

• I rebuilt server since no amount of repairs seemed to fix the issue. It is amazing what a clean install can do!

Brian Hoyt

• Marked as answer by HoytB Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:04 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:04 PM

All replies

• You might try;

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hello_2018 Friday, May 20, 2016 9:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by HoytB Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:03 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:09 AM
  • Hi Brian,

>>I tried from my internal WSUS as well as from public WU server with same result. It just gets stuck at Checking for updates.

Please check the windows update logs to see if there are any errors or warnings.

Besides, please reset the windows update components to see if it helps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:26 AM
  • I rebuilt server since no amount of repairs seemed to fix the issue. It is amazing what a clean install can do!

Brian Hoyt

• Marked as answer by HoytB Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:04 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:04 PM