crashing!! RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since I installed Steady State I keep getting system crashes!  "Steady State system hung on starting" .  It happens about all the time.  It just happened 3 times in a row, forcing a restart of the system,  by doing a memory dump!

Please help!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The slow logon problem is a know issue. You can refer to the following threads:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1806565&SiteID=69

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1836122&SiteID=69

Thus, the crashing issue may not be caused by the slow logon problem. To fix the crashing issue, I would like to know if there is an error when checking the hard drive. As the problem can also be caused by the conflicts between the Windows SteadyState Service and other services or drivers, let’s perform a Clean Boot to check the result:

----------------------------

1. Click Start and then Run, type msconfig and click OK.

2. On the General tab, click "Selective Startup", and then clear all of the subsequent check boxes. You will not be able to clear the Use Original BOOT.INI check box.

3. Click Services tab, enable Windows SteadyState Service.

4. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart your computer.

5. After Windows starts, check whether system crashes.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 6, 2007 7:52 AM

All replies

• That sucks...Better luck next time...j/k.    I would reinstall XP and start from scratch.  The preinstallation tasks in the handbook says to:

Performing Preinstallation Tasks

Before you install Windows SteadyState:

􀂃 Uninstall Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP, the

predecessor to Windows SteadyState, if necessary. See the “To

Uninstall Shared Computer Toolkit” procedure in this handbook.

􀂃 Defragment system drives, configure display settings, and remove any

software that should not be made available to any user profile. For

shared systems, consider also clearing the Internet History folder and

deleting files in My Documents.

Important: It is critical that you perform this step before setting up Windows Disk

Protection.

􀂃 Download and install the latest critical updates from the Windows

Update Web site at:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=83424.

􀂃 Download and install up-to-date antivirus software.

􀂃 Scan for viruses, unwanted software, and malicious software.

􀂃 Set the Administrator password.

􀂃 Install all of the features, services, and programs that you want to make

available to your users (recommended). For more information on

configuring your shared access computer before you install

Windows SteadyState, see the “Configuring the System for Shared

Use” section in this handbook.

Did you do any of these?

Thursday, August 2, 2007 12:28 AM
  •  

Yes I've done all of that.  started with a fresh install of XP last week, thinking that would do the trick.  Do you kno of anything else I can do or try?

Thanks!

Thursday, August 2, 2007 1:43 PM
  • My system was hanging as well, when in fact I had to wait a very long 1 to 2 minutes for the system to get going.

It was very bizarre, as the HDD just stopped. Usually the HDD is whirring and os and profiles load quickly.

I was rebooting the computer before it had time to load the first user properly, because the HDD just stopped for a long time, and hence a suspected "crash"

This is a known issue with the very very slow start up on a cold boot, on every cold boot, not just the first time after Steadystate is installed.

Paul
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 10:58 PM
  • I tested this software without any issues.  I would just load XP without any other programs installed and see if your computer would crash again with Windows SteadyState.  Check the event logs as well to see what's going on.

Myton

Friday, August 3, 2007 1:55 AM
  •  

Hi Jtiki,

Thank you for Myton and Paul’s inputs.

Crash problems can be caused by several factors including hardware or driver problems. As the Windows Disk Protection (WDP) cache file is very sensitive to its physical layout on the hard disk, I would like to know if problem occurs right after enabling Windows Disk Protection (WDP). If so, let’s temporarily disable it to check the result:

1. Start SteadyState with an administrator account.

2. Click Protect the Hard Disk. Select Off. Click OK and restart the computer.

If Normal Mode cannot be entered, let’s boot into Safe Mode to perform the above steps:

---------------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

If issue remains after turning off WDP, we need to uninstall SteadyState to verify the result. Alternatively, let’s check the hard drive before enabling WDP.

1. Open “My Computer” Right click drive C and then Choose Properties.

2. Select the Tools tab. Click the Check Now button.

3. Select the two check boxes and click Start. Click Yes and restart the computer.

If there is any update, feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 3, 2007 7:17 AM
  • I have tried that, and still no luck.   The error I getting the log and in the memory.dmp file says that " The Windows SteadyState Service service hung on starting."
     this happens at least 4 to 6 times a day.  I even tried a fresh install of XP and that did not help.   I am almost to the point of uninstalling it altogether.  Is there anything else I can try?  Because I really like the features it has.

Friday, August 3, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

The slow logon problem is a know issue. You can refer to the following threads:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1806565&SiteID=69

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1836122&SiteID=69

Thus, the crashing issue may not be caused by the slow logon problem. To fix the crashing issue, I would like to know if there is an error when checking the hard drive. As the problem can also be caused by the conflicts between the Windows SteadyState Service and other services or drivers, let’s perform a Clean Boot to check the result:

----------------------------

1. Click Start and then Run, type msconfig and click OK.

2. On the General tab, click "Selective Startup", and then clear all of the subsequent check boxes. You will not be able to clear the Use Original BOOT.INI check box.

3. Click Services tab, enable Windows SteadyState Service.

4. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart your computer.

5. After Windows starts, check whether system crashes.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 6, 2007 7:52 AM
  • Sounds like Shawn is onto something here.
    I would go further and suggest a chkdsk /f on your clean windows installation

The other thing it might be is an incompatibility with a 'backup or restore' software installed by the pc vendor.

Sometimes those tools are acting at the filter driver layer as well

good luck

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:28 AM