none
Cannot Send/Receive email externally.

Question

• Setup two AD Controllers and so far one EX10 SP3. All running on top of Hyper-V 2012 r2. Routing email internally is fine, but cannot get email to send or receive from external sources.

Doubled check and checked again the connectors. Published the MX and SPF records at Go Daddy. 

First Question, is anything special to know about hosting EX on a VM when it comes to mail routing?

What is the proper format for the MX and SPF record? Ran the Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer, the MX and SPF return healthy.

PS, I know this forum is for EX 2013, but wasn't able to find a sub-category for EX 2010.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 7:14 PM

Answers

1. a VM is really nothing more than a new "brand" of server, so no, nothing really related to mail flow to consider. You should see this article however, on Exchange 2010 and virtual hardware in general.
    2. Exchange 2010 does not accept email from the internet by default, unless you use an Edge Transport server, which most people don't. See setup instructions here for allowing your Hub Transport server to receive internet email.
    3. The exchange 2010 forums are here, for future reference. I'm not sure why they aren't grouped with the 2013/2016 buttons.
    4. You said you have Godaddy, so you should see here for MX record formatting help.
    5. SPF records are more complicated. Given that you are still wrestling with getting the server up and running, i'd skip an SPF record and come back and post a new question once you're comfortable with everything discussed thus far. SPF records aren't required anyway (though they are a good idea).

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Baseline Technologies

Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:40 AM
  • If you configure your send connector to use another port, noone will receive your email. You need to upgrade to a comcast business plan, where they don't block tcp/25.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:52 PM

All replies

• Setup two AD Controllers and so far one EX10 SP3. All running on top of Hyper-V 2012 r2. Routing email internally is fine, but cannot get email to send or receive from external sources.

Doubled check and checked again the connectors. Published the MX and SPF records at Go Daddy. 

First Question, is anything special to know about hosting EX on a VM when it comes to mail routing?

What is the proper format for the MX and SPF record? Ran the Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer, the MX and SPF return healthy.

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:19 PM
    • Merged by Mike Crowley Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:43 AM dupe
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 7:13 PM
    1. a VM is really nothing more than a new "brand" of server, so no, nothing really related to mail flow to consider. You should see this article however, on Exchange 2010 and virtual hardware in general.
    2. Exchange 2010 does not accept email from the internet by default, unless you use an Edge Transport server, which most people don't. See setup instructions here for allowing your Hub Transport server to receive internet email.
    3. The exchange 2010 forums are here, for future reference. I'm not sure why they aren't grouped with the 2013/2016 buttons.
    4. You said you have Godaddy, so you should see here for MX record formatting help.
    5. SPF records are more complicated. Given that you are still wrestling with getting the server up and running, i'd skip an SPF record and come back and post a new question once you're comfortable with everything discussed thus far. SPF records aren't required anyway (though they are a good idea).

Mike Crowley | MVP

Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:40 AM
  • Troubleshooting External Incoming Emails.

1. From a machine outside your network (Use your phone wifi hotspot to help)

a. Verify that your MX records are propagated -> nslookup -q=mx domain.com

b. Verify that your Exchange server can be seen from outside.  In your router chack that port 25 is directed to the internal IP of the server.

c. Check your Receive Connector (Server Configuration / Hub Transport).  There must be one created by default (called Default servername).  Make sure it is accepting connections from 'Anonymous' sources by checking Permission Groups tabs.

Once a+b+c are checked go to yougetsignal.com and test that internet can talk with your server.

Then go to http://testexchangeconnectivity.com and perform an Incoming Email test.

Troubleshooting External Outgoing:

- Check that you actually have a Send Connector configured (Not sure whether 2010 creates a default Send Connector) in Organization Configuration\Send Connector.  Create one with Address space * and set 'use DNS mx records to route mail automatically"

Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:23 AM
  • Thank you for the feedback.

Went through those articles, VM is within compliance. Connectors are setup correctly and the MX format is correct. After posting this question, it turned out the problem was with Comcast blocking Port 25. For the off chance you may be able answer this question. How can I force email to us a different Smtp port? Ssl wildcard as already be setup.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Thank you for the feedback.

Went through those articles, VM is within compliance. Connectors are setup correctly and the MX format is correct. After posting this question, it turned out the problem was with Comcast blocking Port 25. For the off chance you may be able answer this question. How can I force email to us a different Smtp port? Ssl wildcard as already be setup.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:31 PM
  • If you configure your send connector to use another port, noone will receive your email. You need to upgrade to a comcast business plan, where they don't block tcp/25.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:52 PM