On Screen Keyboard - Sticky Shift, or Alt, or ctrl not working RRS feed

• Question

• When using the on screen keyboard and when clicking on the shift the on screen keyboard goes into caps but then immediatly drops back to lower case. Also happens on clicking on ctrl or alt. I tried it on another system and it works fine..  Is there some option somewhere that I cannot find ?? This is happening on my sons PC who is disabled and needs this feature. I just rebuilt his system and moved from vista to win 7.  Please  help...

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply BUT I now am sure what caused the problem...  I decided to rebuild the PC again and noting when the problem occured. I installed a fresh copy of win 7 including SP1 on the system.

1   Onscreen keyboard woked ok.

2   Went and installed all important updates including IE9  - OSK is ok

3    Optional update for this system  - "Conexant - Audio, Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221"   update - installed

4    OSK On screen keyboard - now does not have sticky shift, crtl, alt keys.

5    removed the Conexant update -

6    OSK works OK now

It is apparent that the problem is this audio update.. I have no way to contact the company to explain the proble to them - Is it possible that you or someone from Microsoft can contact them and inform them of the Bug.

The system that the problem occurs on is a

HP Pavilion Entertainment PC  model  DV 9700   ---   DV9910US

• Marked as answer by BillWatts Friday, May 6, 2011 7:46 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

When did this issue begin to occur? If recently, system restore can be under consideration. Does it persists after a restart?

In case this is a temporary issue, let us test around with the settings by clicking Options, check Turn on numeric key pad and check the Use Text Prediction then click OK.

Exit on-screen keyboard and re-load it again to check the result. Uncheck the settings we did and test.

Another possibility is corrupt registry. Let us create another user account on the PC and check if it works on the new PC.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Thanks for the reply BUT I now am sure what caused the problem...  I decided to rebuild the PC again and noting when the problem occured. I installed a fresh copy of win 7 including SP1 on the system.

1   Onscreen keyboard woked ok.

2   Went and installed all important updates including IE9  - OSK is ok

3    Optional update for this system  - "Conexant - Audio, Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221"   update - installed

4    OSK On screen keyboard - now does not have sticky shift, crtl, alt keys.

5    removed the Conexant update -

6    OSK works OK now

It is apparent that the problem is this audio update.. I have no way to contact the company to explain the proble to them - Is it possible that you or someone from Microsoft can contact them and inform them of the Bug.

The system that the problem occurs on is a

HP Pavilion Entertainment PC  model  DV 9700   ---   DV9910US

• Marked as answer by BillWatts Friday, May 6, 2011 7:46 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for this useful information. I believe it will benefit other members this forum. Your time and effort is greated appreciated.

Meanwhile, please understand Microsoft do not write drivers for third party devices, especially the OEM version (Original Equipment Manufacturer). To achieve their user friendly goals, they will have certain basic drivers builded in, but most of build-in drivers can not use the device to their best. Better to install the latest according to the third party makers.

In addition, certain device driver will be released from Windows update channel for user's convenience. To do this,

Run Device Manager, right click on the LAN adapters and choose "Update driver software"

It is also not suggested as a whole. (The Windows Update site lists driver updates only based on hardware ID scan results despite various environments.)

So it is better to visit the manufacture's download center and update the driver then run Windows Update to avoid such inconvinience.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:33 AM