Change E-mail address for a user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have one question regarding e-mail address. I have one user that was named with German keyboard with "ü" letter. Since this letter is usually represented witth "ue" his exchange email address includes these two letters. But then since we use IMAP on ISP and since there are users created once again and this user is created just with "u". Can I change his e-mail address in exchange to reflects IMAP account ?? Where shall I change this in ADUC or Exchange ??

The problem with this email address is that he can send from exchange account and from isp imap account, but these are two different e-mail addresses, and if somebody replies to him on e-mail that includes "ue" , our ISP won't recognize it as a valid e-mail address and mail will be rejected.

Thanks

• Edited by MrAlexandar Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:58 AM

Answers

• You can add another email address with the IMAP account alias from the Exchange console I believe.
    • Proposed as answer by GreenlightTech Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Monday, September 19, 2011 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that the Exchange email account with two letters “ue”. However, the IMAP on ISP email address contains only one letter “u”.

And I noticed that this user is created just with “u”. So who create the email address again without letter “e”; if the email address is not created under Exchange, it doesn’t take effect.

In short, who recreate the IMAP email address so who will have rights to change it.

Regards,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Monday, September 19, 2011 9:16 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Hi I have one question regarding e-mail address. I have one user that was named with German keyboard with "ü" letter. Since this letter is usually represented witth "ue" his exchange email address includes these two letters. But then since we use IMAP on ISP and since there are users created once again and this user is created just with "u". Can I change his e-mail address in exchange to reflects IMAP account ?? Where shall I change this in ADUC or Exchange ??

The problem with this email address is that he can send from exchange account and from isp imap account, but these are two different e-mail addresses, and if somebody replies to him on e-mail that includes "ue" , our ISP won't recognize it as a valid e-mail address and mail will be rejected.

Thanks

If the user in listed in the SBS console you can change him there.

If you want the user to receive email from both email address then you can add the other spelling to the user in the EMC under recipient configuration, mailbox, and then the user name. Double click on the user's name. Click on the e-mail address tab and add it there. One of the addresses will be the default.

• Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Monday, September 19, 2011 9:15 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Maybe I missed it or something, but I can't seem to find where you mentioned a version of SBS...

For SBS 2003, you'd have to change it from the Server Management or from Active Directory Users and Computers. Open the user and go to the tab 'Email Addresses'

For SBS 2008/2011 you'd have to change it from within the Exchange Management Console or Windows SBS Console. The problem you're going to run into is if he's already been sending emails out on 'ue' then people are going to be responding to 'ue' and you don't want to lose those emails. Therefore the best option is to do it through the Exchange Management Console and add an additional email address with just the 'u' and set it as the default email address. Open Start > All Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 > Exchange Management Console click 'Yes' through the UAC prompt and then go to on the left hand side 'Recipient Configuration' and then 'Mailbox'

For Exchange 2010/2007 you will have to uncheck the check box that says 'Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy' before you can apply changes, in 2003 you don't have to but it's recommended you do otherwise when the policy get's reinforced you'll be back to square one.

Greenlight.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:52 AM

All replies

• You can add another email address with the IMAP account alias from the Exchange console I believe.
    • Proposed as answer by GreenlightTech Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Monday, September 19, 2011 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that the Exchange email account with two letters “ue”. However, the IMAP on ISP email address contains only one letter “u”.

And I noticed that this user is created just with “u”. So who create the email address again without letter “e”; if the email address is not created under Exchange, it doesn’t take effect.

In short, who recreate the IMAP email address so who will have rights to change it.

Regards,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by MrAlexandar Monday, September 19, 2011 9:16 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:21 AM

Thanks

If the user in listed in the SBS console you can change him there.

If you want the user to receive email from both email address then you can add the other spelling to the user in the EMC under recipient configuration, mailbox, and then the user name. Double click on the user's name. Click on the e-mail address tab and add it there. One of the addresses will be the default.

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Maybe I missed it or something, but I can't seem to find where you mentioned a version of SBS...

For SBS 2003, you'd have to change it from the Server Management or from Active Directory Users and Computers. Open the user and go to the tab 'Email Addresses'

For SBS 2008/2011 you'd have to change it from within the Exchange Management Console or Windows SBS Console. The problem you're going to run into is if he's already been sending emails out on 'ue' then people are going to be responding to 'ue' and you don't want to lose those emails. Therefore the best option is to do it through the Exchange Management Console and add an additional email address with just the 'u' and set it as the default email address. Open Start > All Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 > Exchange Management Console click 'Yes' through the UAC prompt and then go to on the left hand side 'Recipient Configuration' and then 'Mailbox'

For Exchange 2010/2007 you will have to uncheck the check box that says 'Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy' before you can apply changes, in 2003 you don't have to but it's recommended you do otherwise when the policy get's reinforced you'll be back to square one.

Greenlight.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Hi ,thank you all for advises. This is SBS 2011. I will then create additional e-mail address and set it as default. 

Thanks once again !

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:14 AM