RMS shows up when using Zixmail...Zixmail says to "Uninstall RMS" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  We have just setup a user with a new windows 7 computer on an SBS 2003 network.  The computer has Office 2003 Pro installed and licensed.  The user uses a program to encrypt their emails (when desired) On this new computer when they click the button to use zixmail to encrypt the mail it pops up with a window that says "Service Sign-Up"  "Introducting the Information Rights Management Service" basically asking you if you want to use this service or not.  If we choose not to use it the system simply gives you the choice to cancel and whenever we go to use it again the next time it comes up again.  If we choose to use the system it wants us to sign up for a live id which we don't want to do because the client has decided to use zixmail.  Zixmail says the solution is to "uninstall" RMS from the computer.  I am not very familiar with RMS but from what I have found is that it is part of active directory and so this would not be a good idea.  Can anyone give me some advice on a possible way to make RMS go away on this one comptuter?  It worked on her original XP machine with no problems and it is also setup on approx 30 other Windows 7 machines and none of them are giving this message.  Thanks for the help.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As is mentioned in the AD RMS SDK docs for Windows 7, the AD RMS client software is included with the Windows 7 operating system so there really isn't a way to uninstall the files since they are considered to be system protected class.

What would seem to make the most sense here is to disable IRM functionality in Office 2003. This can be done with the "Office IRM Disable" registry setting documented in the AD RMS Troubleshooting Guide posted here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13130.ad-rms-troubleshooting-guide-en-us.aspx

HTH,

Brad Mahugh
    Microsoft Corporation
    ------------------------
    This post is provided "AS IS" and confers no promises of current or future technical support for a specific support issue. Please use Microsoft product support if you need a service commitment for your current support case or issue.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As is mentioned in the AD RMS SDK docs for Windows 7, the AD RMS client software is included with the Windows 7 operating system so there really isn't a way to uninstall the files since they are considered to be system protected class.

What would seem to make the most sense here is to disable IRM functionality in Office 2003. This can be done with the "Office IRM Disable" registry setting documented in the AD RMS Troubleshooting Guide posted here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13130.ad-rms-troubleshooting-guide-en-us.aspx

HTH,

Brad Mahugh
    Microsoft Corporation
    ------------------------
    This post is provided "AS IS" and confers no promises of current or future technical support for a specific support issue. Please use Microsoft product support if you need a service commitment for your current support case or issue.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:28 AM
  • I realize this is old, but If anyone else comes across this it may be useful to know that the solution does work.  I did have to manually add the registry keys, but once there the IRM messages stopped.

Thank you Brad,

Shawn

Monday, June 24, 2013 5:06 PM