ISE vs Task Scheduler RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a script that backs up a pretty large folder using 7zip, using the & to run it as command line.  When I run it inside the ISE it take around 9 mins, when I run it as a task from task scheduler (at 3am when no one is logged on) it takes around 40 mins.  Is this normal?

Thanks
    Kevin

• Edited by bakerkr94 Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:53 PM Clarification
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi kevin, I think that you should see if you are running scripts at that time or maybe you can monitor what is the computer doing at that time.

If you're running backups on the target computers or the other computers are being drained of their resources for ANY reason you could get the scripts to behave like that.

I think that you should just check the infrastructure, the answer to your questing is "could be normal" but it depends on more information that we really doens't have at the moment

• Marked as answer by bakerkr94 Friday, August 18, 2017 8:44 AM
    Friday, August 18, 2017 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hmmm ... without seeing your script and your environment you can't seriously expect that we know what's going on in your infrastructure.  ;-) It could be maybe not normal but expectable for a lot of reasons.

Grüße - Best regards

PS:> (79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:04 PM
  • 3AM is when many systems do maintenance such as downloads for WU and AV scans.  These can slow down most things.  If an external backup service is running it may also cause delays.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:12 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I understand what you're saying, but was asking more in general.  Is there any known issues when running a command line program with powershell from a task.   I'm running the script on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine with 2 Xeon 6-core processors running at 2.26 GHz with 128GB of memory.
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:22 PM
  •  Is there any known issues when running a command line program with powershell from a task.   
    No - not that I'm aware of.

Grüße - Best regards

PS:> (79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Hi kevin, I think that you should see if you are running scripts at that time or maybe you can monitor what is the computer doing at that time.

If you're running backups on the target computers or the other computers are being drained of their resources for ANY reason you could get the scripts to behave like that.

I think that you should just check the infrastructure, the answer to your questing is "could be normal" but it depends on more information that we really doens't have at the moment

• Marked as answer by bakerkr94 Friday, August 18, 2017 8:44 AM
    Friday, August 18, 2017 2:10 AM
  • Yeah, for whatever reason this is just going to be "normal" for me.  Thanks everyone for the help and insight.
    Friday, August 18, 2017 8:44 AM