Is Program Files (x86) hard coded, is it possible to delete it? RRS feed

• Question

• In short I want to sym link my program files on a large back up drive, however this seems completely impossible, because Windows 7 does not trust that I actually know what I'm doing. I've made a sym link, and it works as far as I know, I just can't delete the program files folder on my hard drive.

I can rename it in safemode (but when I start windows it's Program Files (x86), and only when I double click on it and check the path do I see what I renamed it to), is this file now some sort of junction or symlink? Is there anything I can do to just delete it? Is there anyway to disable this functionality? I really want a normal folder structure, and not some obscene bunch of junctions which doesn't let me restructure my OS install, something I'm perfectly capable of.

I've tried safe mode, and haven't been able to get into my Windows 7 repair console (is there anyway to force a text only install so it loads up faster?)
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:25 PM

Answers

• http://www.windows7news.com/forum/windows-7-general/how-to-remove-%27program-files-(x86)%27/

There is a link that does what I needed.
    • Marked as answer by Worm4real Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:02 PM