Outlook 2013 requires data file repair each time it's started. RRS feed

• Question

• Title pretty much says it all. Upgrade from Outlook 2010. Each time the new Outlook is loaded I get the "Something is wrong with one of your data files" alert box. It wants to repair one of the archive .pst files (I have an archive for each year the account has been in service (2000-2011, 2012 and 2013 are live on the server) and I load them all when I launch Outlook) and always succeeds. Afterwards I can relaunch Outlook without a problem, until I shut it down again for any reason (unless there's been *no* activity other than the exchange connect since launched).
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:11 AM

Answers

•  It's like something isn't getting closed cleanly maybe.

I agree with you. Please try to fix your data file first and then run Outlook with the command-line "Outlook.exe /safe" to check if the dialog of "Outlook discovers the errors" would appear when you launch Outlook again. I doubt that some running add-ins or macros may be the root of issue. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:37 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 9:06 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to fix you data file through ScanPST.exe tool? If no, please perform the steps in following link to scan your OST/PST file to check the result. Thanks.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:27 AM
  • That's the tool that automatically launches when Outlook discovers the errors. It runs and repairs the file, I can then launch Outlook again and it starts up without errors. It's only after I shut Outlook down again later and attempt another start-up that it'll find errors once again. It's like something isn't getting closed cleanly maybe.

• Edited by BillseyLCIS Friday, February 22, 2013 3:21 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 3:20 AM
  •  It's like something isn't getting closed cleanly maybe.

I agree with you. Please try to fix your data file first and then run Outlook with the command-line "Outlook.exe /safe" to check if the dialog of "Outlook discovers the errors" would appear when you launch Outlook again. I doubt that some running add-ins or macros may be the root of issue. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:37 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Hi,  any update?

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.
    If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:35 AM
  • Sorry, didn't have Outlook closed over the last couple of weeks while I was OOP. I just shut it down and it restarted without error, so I don't know what was causing the problem. :-(
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:06 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem.  Every time I open Outlook I have to repair the PST file and create a new backup file.  I suspect it may have something to do with Lync 2013.
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:39 PM
  • Same issue and of course still no actual answer from MS.  As always.

I ran in safe mode and didn't say errors but while trying to work it said it had to shut down.

I also in regular mode have to click ok about my 'password' CONSTANTLY. 

Any fix yet?  I don't want to uninstall and reinstall again? I'm tired of losing my emails!

Friday, March 7, 2014 7:50 PM
  • I started having the same problem yesterday.  I will have Outlook open and it will just crash and then I get the "Something is Wrong with one of you Data files" message  I have run the inbox repair tool at least 10 times today.  Outlook does not stay up for more than 5 minutes when it stops working and  I get this error.

I went to Programs and Features and did the online repair option for Microsoft Office 365 as had been suggested on another forum but it did not fix the problem.  I have not loaded any new software  nor made any changes or upgrades to anything in awhile.

Monday, March 17, 2014 5:02 PM
  • I ran it in safe mode and made no difference.  Now Outlook will not stay up for more than 10 seconds before it crashes.  It is completely unusable now.  

Would appreciate any suggestions

Monday, March 17, 2014 5:50 PM
  • I have the same issue and agree with the earlier comment that it may be related to Lync 2013 - when we started using Lync, that's about when I noticed the issue.

I have many old psts loaded in my folder list.

I also found when the repair box shows up I can simply ignore it, close the box without doing the repair and Outlook 2013 will then start up without issues.

It would be nice to not have to do this.

Gary Davis

Monday, March 17, 2014 6:11 PM
  • I have the same issue and agree with the earlier comment that it may be related to Lync 2013 - when we started using Lync, that's about when I noticed the issue.

I have many old psts loaded in my folder list.

I also found when the repair box shows up I can simply ignore it, close the box without doing the repair and Outlook 2013 will then start up without issues.

It would be nice to not have to do this.

Gary Davis

Same happens to me
    Sunday, May 11, 2014 9:27 AM
  • I am in the same team. Same symptoms.
    Monday, May 12, 2014 4:41 PM
  • I have having the same problem.

It repairs every time and Outlook is usable, but if I restart I have to go through the whole process again.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:13 AM
  • Hi,

I am getting the same set of symptoms. However, today I received another error during the AutoArchive which points to the Internet Calendar Subscriptions.pst as having problems and telling me

Error while archiving store "Internet Calendars". Cannot load special folder information in store Internet Calendars. Windows Search exited without properly closing your Outlook Data file 'C:\Users\dstock_000\AppData\local\Microsoft\Outlook\Internet Calendar Subscriptions.pst'. Microsoft Outlook must be restarted.

I am going to try to delete this .pst file and allow Outlook to rebuild a new one to see if this cures my problem.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

I am getting the same set of symptoms. However, today I received another error during the AutoArchive which points to the Internet Calendar Subscriptions.pst as having problems and telling me

Error while archiving store "Internet Calendars". Cannot load special folder information in store Internet Calendars. Windows Search exited without properly closing your Outlook Data file 'C:\Users\dstock_000\AppData\local\Microsoft\Outlook\Internet Calendar Subscriptions.pst'. Microsoft Outlook must be restarted.

I am going to try to delete this .pst file and allow Outlook to rebuild a new one to see if this cures my problem.

As my problem was to do with my Internet Calendar Subscription.pst deleting it was not an issue as the file rebuilds from the internet calendars when it restarts. At first restart Outlook complains that the file does not exist but on second reboot the file has been recreated and my problem has been resolved.

This would work for any .pst file issue but be aware that you may not be able to rebuild an email file.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

As my problem was to do with my Internet Calendar Subscription.pst deleting it was not an issue as the file rebuilds from the internet calendars when it restarts. At first restart Outlook complains that the file does not exist but on second reboot the file has been recreated and my problem has been resolved.

This would work for any .pst file issue but be aware that you may not be able to rebuild an email file.

Deleting the Internet Calendar Subscription.pst file finally worked for me.  I tried rebuilding multiple times but it would keep failing after having Outlook open for a few minutes. 
    • Proposed as answer by jerryol Friday, March 25, 2016 5:03 PM
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:25 PM
  • The only solution that worked for me, without deleting the file, was to restore a previous version of the file. This can be accessed from the right-click menu or the file properties.

My 'Internet Calendar Subscriptions.pst' file was located in this folder: C:\Users\{my network ID}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

Friday, March 25, 2016 5:01 PM
  • I fixed this problem by having the repair tool fix the main mailbox pst file instead of the calendar pst which was listed as default.
    Friday, September 15, 2017 2:46 PM
  • This did the trick for me as well.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
    Friday, October 27, 2017 10:05 AM
  • I am having this same problem.  Do you have any suggestions?  Thanks
    Monday, November 6, 2017 5:30 PM