Win 10 Pro EMET 5.5 GUI will not open for non admin user RRS feed

• Question

• I have deployed EMET to my test computer running Win 10 Pro. Though I see EMET in the notification area if I try to open the GUI and enter Admin creds nothing happens. I would like to get this working to help protect my environment. What am I missing?
    Friday, May 27, 2016 1:53 PM

Answers

• I had this same issue, and found it to be resolved in EMET 5.51.

MS KB2458544 (can't post links yet)

There is also a workaround in that KB for older versions - it's apparently caused by a missing registry key from HKCU of the Admin user.

• Proposed as answer by steven_ESL Wednesday, August 17, 2016 6:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonathan Brown7 Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 11:51 AM

All replies

• I have EMET 5.5 deployed in my environment as well but we have a windows 7  32/64 bit shop. I'm having the same exact issue described by Jonathan. When assisting a standard user who is experiencing issues with EMET  I click on the EMET GUI in the tray area so that I can access the settings. The UAC opens to enter my admin credentials and I do this but the UAC disappears and nothing happens. This has the same results after trying to open EMET through the program files. If I however uninstall EMET....and I try to configure a program ...the UAC pops up ...I enter my credentials and I am able to configure settings. 

If I log on to the machine with my admin credentials I can access the EMET GUI no problem.

Where does EMET and the UAC talk with one another. How do you configure settings for the UAC within EMET.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:24 PM
  • I had this same issue, and found it to be resolved in EMET 5.51.

MS KB2458544 (can't post links yet)

There is also a workaround in that KB for older versions - it's apparently caused by a missing registry key from HKCU of the Admin user.

• Proposed as answer by steven_ESL Wednesday, August 17, 2016 6:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonathan Brown7 Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 11:51 AM