cacls F: /E /T /C /G Everyone:F RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Can someone tell me what this will do ?

Start > Run > type cmd > type cacls F: /E /T /C /G Everyone:F

I have been told to follow these steps in order to get my f: external harddrive back to all users,

I just want to be sure that is ALL that will happen.

Thank You !

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:13 PM

Answers

• All I was trying to do at the start of all this was make it so only myself "administrator" can access f: drive on this computer, is there a simple way to restrict "guest" and other users from f: drive on this computer yet not affect Norton backup ?
    If drive F: is formatted under NTFS then you can set its permissions so that only the following users have access to it:

- System
    - Administrators
    - Yourself

As I said before, this is something you should do with Windows Explorer. Cacls.exe is for experienced administrators.

• Proposed as answer by Frederik Long Friday, December 20, 2013 12:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by RJC48 Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:55 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:50 AM

All replies

• It depends on what exactly you mean with "get my f: external harddrive back to all users". Are you thinking of access permissions? Did you try this command at the command prompt?

cacls  /?  |  more

If you are unfamiliar with console commands then setting permissions via Windows Explorer would be a far better option. Just right-click F:\ to get started.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:18 PM
  • Hi,

Did you use Windows 7 operating system? Icacls is supported in Windows 7.

Like Forest said, it's depend on your real meaning. Here is this a tutorial that how to use this command:

Icacls

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525.aspx

Feel free to ask us if you have any unclear problem.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me, I don't know very much about this stuff.

What started my problem was I removed all users from f: drive but myself "administrator", I then took ownership of everything on f: drive.

After doing this Norton could no longer backup on f: drive, so I started trying to find a way to fix it and someone told me to Start > Run > type cmd > type cacls F: /E /T /C /G Everyone:F

I have since followed those steps and Norton can now backup on f: drive, I am happy with the fix but I am wondering if Start > Run > type cmd > type cacls F: /E /T /C /G Everyone:F did anything I shouldn't have done ?

All I was trying to do at the start of all this was make it so only myself "administrator" can access f: drive on this computer, is there a simple way to restrict "guest" and other users from f: drive on this computer yet not affect Norton backup ?

Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:53 AM
  • Hello,

I am still an infant running XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3, will be moving up to 7 or 8 in a couple months, I appreciate your help !

Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:05 AM
  • All I was trying to do at the start of all this was make it so only myself "administrator" can access f: drive on this computer, is there a simple way to restrict "guest" and other users from f: drive on this computer yet not affect Norton backup ?
    If drive F: is formatted under NTFS then you can set its permissions so that only the following users have access to it:

- System
    - Administrators
    - Yourself

As I said before, this is something you should do with Windows Explorer. Cacls.exe is for experienced administrators.

• Proposed as answer by Frederik Long Friday, December 20, 2013 12:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by RJC48 Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:55 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:50 AM