Recover data from Bitlocker encrypted drive after bad motherboard.. RRS feed

• Question

• Okay All.
    I'm in need of some expert advice. I have a machine in which the motherboard has died. Well, low and behold this MSI motherboard has been discontinued and I've called and searched everywhere online for a replacement. No hardware vendors out there have any left. I keep hoping one will show up on Ebay one of these days. It's an MSI K9mm-v but that's irrelevant to my question anyhow. My mbr/drive/partition (Vista Ultimate OS) in this machine is encrypted with/by Bitlocker. I have the key saved to a USB and I also have the recovery password so that's not the problem.
    My problem is that I can't access the data by setting up as a slave in any other machine. If I set it up to boot to OS using dissimilar hardware, I get to the prompt for the encryption key during startup, but nothing after that. No chance at F8 for safe-mode because it's different hardware...i.e...chipset...bus, etc..
    And, unfortunately I didn't have a backup which really doesn't matter anyway because I still wouldn't have access to the encrypted data...I'm posting this to see if anyone else has come across this??
    Thanks.

Friday, November 27, 2009 1:47 PM

Answers

• Resolution: Use USB drive enclosure and connect to machine running Windows Vista Pro or Windows 7 pro. Attempt to browse Hard drive, enter encryption password and you're good to go.

• Marked as answer by Skelleyman Monday, March 5, 2012 5:05 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 5:05 PM