Printing RTF documents in WINWord 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• For many years I have been able to generate an RTF document in my application, open it with Word and print it. With the latest version of WINWord 2016 the Print Preview and Print functions are disabled. This still works correctly on MACWord 2016, and all previous versions of WINWord. I've made sure that RTF files are not "Protected" in Word. Are there changes to the Compatibility settings for WINWord 2016?

Thank you.

Monday, December 14, 2015 10:47 PM

All replies

• Hi DS_Artsys,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

This forum is for developers for discussing developing issues about Word developing. Since the issue is more relative to end-user, I would like to move it to Word IT Pro forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 5:20 AM
  • With more testing we have determined that some of my RTF documents have Print and Print Preview enabled when opened in WINWord 2016, but the majority do not, so these documents will not Print.

The issue seems to be RTF specific, and at this time not due to any pattern we can associate.

Some documents that include tables will print, some will not.

Some documents that include Images will print, some will not.

Thank you.

P.S. Does anyone know of a more appropriate forum to post this, maybe where an MS engineer might respond?

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, Office 2016 is supported the RTF format same as the previous versions. Please see the File format reference for Word:

RTF controls the representation and formatting of a document, both on the screen and in print. When they use the .rtf file format, documents created under different operating systems and with different software applications can be transferred between those operating systems and applications.

https://technet.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/dd797428%28v=office.16%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

You can send us a sample file (ibsofc@microsoft.com), I'd like to test it.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:35 AM
  • Hi George,

Thanks for the response. Yes, we are proficient in the RTF format, both for MAC and Windows, and use our proprietary RTF engine to generate the RTF files. The files work fine on MAC Word 2010, 2016 and all previous versions of WINWord back to 97.

I have isolated the offending object(s) which are extra "blank" cells to the right of the last cell in the doc, or prior to the last Paragraph in the doc.

I am currently trying to make modifications to our RTF engine to accommodate, but Word never tripped on these empty cells before. Furthermore, the document displays and edits properly, but Print Preview fails.

I will send you 2 files, an original (that fails) and the one I have fixed by deleting the last cell prior to the last Paragraph.

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

I have received your sample file, and opened with Word 2016. I also can reproduce your issue that it did not displayed correctly in print preview. But it worked well in Word 2013.

Thus, I suppose this issue might be caused by the compatibility issue with Word 2016. Based on my test, we can copy the content from this file to a new/blank RTF file, then it will work as expected. Please use it as workaround. I'll collect this issue and submit with our internal channel.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:06 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:54 AM
  • Hi George,

I'm wondering if your team/channels were able to rectify the situation and that fix might be in a forthcoming update. My clients literally have 100's of thousands of existing documents that have been working for many years. The workaround you suggest is not ideal and rather cumbersome.

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 2:51 PM
  • I recently upgraded to Word 2016 and am having the same issues with editing and printing rtf files. Is there any hope of a solution? I am now on the point of going back to a previous version of Word.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:50 AM