none
Duration days changing when updating % complete RRS feed

• Question

• I am somewhat new @ project and am just learning so bare with me, team. I am using Project 2010 SP1. 

So I base-lined a set of deliverable's, set the start, current and status date, updated the % comp to 10% on the first task within the deliverable group, and then hit F9 to update the project. When I did that the days on this particular task went from 12 to 14.8 days. I am still learning but was curious why project would push the duration out from 12 to 14.8 days?

Looks as though what project is doing is accounting for 1.2 days completed and a remainder of 10.8 days to complete. So instead of assuming we can cram the 10.8 days in the remaining 8 days, it adds the remaining 10.8 days to the calendar. Hence moving the duration to 14.8 days and pushing the schedule out. 

Ideas? 

Monday, July 14, 2014 7:58 PM

Answers

• The system is functioning correctly. You do not have an issue with your settings. Under the hood, project is calculating work values for the task. When you set a status date and a completion percentage, Project reschedules the remaining work. Understanding the basic scheduling engine principals is key to using Project effectively. This is not a concept that is easy to understand, and usually requires training or effective self study. For the latter option, consider grabbing a copy of the Ultimate Study Guide Foundations: Project 2010 by Dale Howard or our computer based training version available at http://www.msprojectexperts.com

For questions that concern only the Project client, you are far better served by posting them to the Project and Project Professional forum, where all of the scheduling gurus hang out. You will get better answers in that forum. With that said, you need training or study to understand the scheduling engine as it is far from intuitive.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

• Marked as answer by slinkster Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:41 PM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This seems to be related with your calendar.

You have a project calendar (from project tab, change working time) that might be 8hrs a day. Then in the file menu, options, schedule, you might have by default 7hrs a day for example. Which could cause that a 1day task will last 8hrs on a 7hrs days, meaning that 1hr will be pushed on the next day, In this case, a 1day task actually lasts more than 1 day.. Strange but logic in term of MS Project scheduling methodology.

In conclusion, be sure to synchronize with the same parameters the project calendar from the project tab and the scheduling options in the file menu/options/schedule.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, July 14, 2014 8:08 PM
  • It is set to 8hrs per day. Any other ideas? 
    Monday, July 14, 2014 8:19 PM
  • In the menu file/options/advanced, ensure that all calculation options at the bottom are unchecked.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, July 14, 2014 8:36 PM
  • The system is functioning correctly. You do not have an issue with your settings. Under the hood, project is calculating work values for the task. When you set a status date and a completion percentage, Project reschedules the remaining work. Understanding the basic scheduling engine principals is key to using Project effectively. This is not a concept that is easy to understand, and usually requires training or effective self study. For the latter option, consider grabbing a copy of the Ultimate Study Guide Foundations: Project 2010 by Dale Howard or our computer based training version available at http://www.msprojectexperts.com

For questions that concern only the Project client, you are far better served by posting them to the Project and Project Professional forum, where all of the scheduling gurus hang out. You will get better answers in that forum. With that said, you need training or study to understand the scheduling engine as it is far from intuitive.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

• Marked as answer by slinkster Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:41 PM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 10:13 PM