Outlook 2013 Facbook contacts not syncing RRS feed

• Question

• "Download contacts from social network" is greyed out

Is outlook 2013 supposed to be able to sync facebook contacts?  Why is this greyed out?

Saturday, December 8, 2012 6:08 PM

Answers

• You cannot view the contacts from Facebook offline. As the Facebook provider does not support the caching of contacts, this option should be disabled. This is by design.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, December 17, 2012 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:52 AM

All replies

• You cannot view the contacts from Facebook offline. As the Facebook provider does not support the caching of contacts, this option should be disabled. This is by design.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, December 17, 2012 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:52 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:10 AM
  • Hi,
    I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.
    If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, December 17, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Does this mean that contacts that only exists in facebook can't be shown in outlook 2013?

And will this be changed at some point? :)

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Correct, Facebook contacts will not be seen in outlook, only the profile pictures and updates. This is controlled by Facebook, not Microsoft and only Facebook can decide if they want to allow contacts to be stored in outlook.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:31 AM
  • As Facebook is the primary social network for the globe, I am struggling to see how this function will work in Outlook 2013 then? If that option is greyed out the implication is that contacts cant be downloaded to Outlook so how do you see People updates from Facebook in Outlook 2013? If you manually add a new contact I cant find anyway of connecting it to Facebook profiles
    Friday, February 1, 2013 10:25 AM
  • The email address is the connection - outlook passes it to Facebook and Facebook sends back the profile picture and updates *if* the person's permissions allow.  http://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/tip-762-facebook-users-beware/

Outlook Tips

Friday, February 1, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Thankyou for the response. It will not really work then as the majority of profiles have their "facebook" email address listed and dont always have their day to day email address associated with their facebook profile
    Friday, February 1, 2013 3:42 PM
  • I'm not sure "won't work" is the best description - I see a lot of profiles photos and more updates than I think should be public, so you will see a lot, but yeah, you many not see information for coworkers and clients.

Outlook Tips

Friday, February 1, 2013 5:10 PM
  • You might want to review what Microsoft's site says: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-suite-help/add-facebook-friends-as-contacts-HA103643123.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA103169067

Start a connection to Facebook

1. In People, in the navigation pane, select Connect to a social network. Alternatively, in Outlook Web App, click Settings GearIcon> Options > Account > Connected accounts.
    2. In the Connect Office 365 to your networks section, next to Facebook, click Connect.
    3. Enter the email address and password associated with the Facebook account that you want to connect to, and then follow the prompts to set up your account.

After you follow these steps, contacts from Facebook will appear in Peoplein Outlook Web App.

Seems to me that something's changed

-SuperDale

Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:17 AM
  • Sorry to reply after such a long time; I happened upon this forum after searching for a solution to the same problem. Though it is time consuming, I did figure out a way to manually link a specific contact to a Facebook account that doesn't use their primary email (as long as you are already friends with them on Facebook). I am using Outlook 2010, but I am guessing a similar method would work for 2013.

The crux of it is adding their @facebook.com email address to their contact card in outlook, so that when you click Add > on Facebook it can find their profile. For step-by-step instructions, read on:

1. Bring up the timeline of the Facebook account that you are trying to link (the easiest way to do this is searching the persons name in Facebook).

2. Click the "About" tab located directly beneath their cover photo and left of the "Photos" tab.

3. Locate the "Contact Information" section in the right-hand column. If their email is visible, copy it to the clipboard (highlight it, then type Ctrl + C or right click and select "Copy"). It will most likely be an @facebook.com email. If their email is not visible, unfortunately this method will not work.

4. Now open Outlook. If you already have a contact made for the person whose email you are trying to link, open the contact card. If not, make a contact by opening an email from or to that person, right clicking on their name/email address and selecting Add to Outlook Contacts.

5. In the contact, their primary email should already be listed in the first "Email" field. Paste the email that you retrieved from Facebook into the "Email 2" or "Email 3" field (In Outlook 2010 contact cards, you can get to these by clicking the drop-down arrow next to the "Email" field.

6. Now open (or reopen) an email from or to the person's primary email address. Make sure the people pane is expanded, and then select that persons name in the people pane (at this point it should appear with the generic, blank icon picture above it). Click "Add," then select "on Facebook." A Facebook page should open in your default web browser that says "You are already friends with _____;" this is because Outlook has communicated with Facebook as if you are sending this person a friend request. When you go back to Outlook, the persons Facebook profile should be connected, and you should see their Facebook profile picture instead of the generic, blank icon picture.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Then what is the point of having this "unusable" feature if it is disabled by design?  That's like a stewardess pushing a beverage cart down the aisle, asking what you want to drink, then after giving your response, she says, "Sorry, federal law prohibits the consumption of beverages at high altitudes" and then leaving the cart there for you to stare at, but under lock and key so you can't take anything out of it.

If you (or Facebook) are not going to give anyone the ability to make use of it, why have it?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:09 PM
  • That doesn't sound correct. I can see facebook-only contacts in my people app on my Windows Phone so clearly they are being cached there.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:09 AM
  • I'm nor really sure what you mean by "unusable" or "disabled." The feature doesn't automatically sync all of your Outlook contacts with Facebook friends, true, but it's not because it's disabled; Microsoft is simply trying to avoid the false positives that would be produced by a very general algorithm that looks solely at names, for instance. Adding the @facebook.com email address is simply adding enough specific information for the syncing to work and to work accurately, but it doesn't require enabling anything.

That being said, I completely agree that this feature should be much more user-friendly and simple.

• Edited by honeybee135 Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:22 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:22 PM
  • That doesn't sound correct. I can see facebook-only contacts in my people app on my Windows Phone so clearly they are being cached there.

The windows phone app is different than the Outlook Social Connector, but it doesn't create actual contacts either. The metadata may be stored locally for those times you are truly offline, that is controlled by the phone app.

In Outlook, Facebook does not allow the creation of Outlook Contacts - contact photos and metadata (like birthdays) sync to Outlook. Some of the data is stored in the Temp Internet Files folders, so Outlook doesn't talk to FB constantly, but it won't create Outlook contacts like FB does.

Outlook Tips

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Ok, I was able to obtain this functionality with no problem but I think it will only work for Office 365 clients (maybe it will work with regular OWA as well, just can't verify).

1.) Log in to outlook.office365.com 

2.) Click on the People tab

3.) On right side of screen, click on Connect to Social Netowork

4.) Connect to your Facebook account and allow access to Office365 account to read your Facebook friends

5.) Wait for initial Sync to complete.

After you have done all of this, if you open Outlook 2013 back up, you will see Facebook under your contacts.

• Proposed as answer by EdMcCaff Monday, December 23, 2013 8:16 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 8:16 PM
  • I decided to get a month trial of Office365 and this feature sure was a kick in the teeth. I was expecting a seamless integration with Facebook like you would find in the Windows 8/RT People app as well as WP8 within Win 7 using Outlook 2013. Unfortunately this is definitely not the case. I've looked everywhere to figure out a way for Facebook contacts to be downloaded (I could even deal with them only being shown while the computer is online but they aren't shown at all) and couldn't do it. My outlook.com account is linked to FB. Office365 seems to force non-business users to use outlook.com for email. Everything works everywhere else except Outlook 2013. The real question is: Is it really worth $10/month for an email/calendar reader that I can use online?

Right about now it doesn't seem so. I wouldn't mind the seamless Social integration Windows 8 has all on its own. I also agree with an above comment. If this is a Facebook issue then why is my WP8 phone and my Surface RT able to easily download and cache FB contacts just fine but Outlook 2013 can not? It really doesn't make sense. I will look into trying to fix this issue a little longer but without the social integration in the People section of Outlook 2013 I'd rather just install OpenOffice and use outlook.com if I need to see my calendar.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:57 AM
  • you need to sign into the social connector to get FB information into outlook. FB doesn't create outlook contacts or outlook.com contacts, it syncs account photo and updates only. LinkedIn creates contacts... its a security thing and facebook doesn't allow it. this is also why FB contacts don't sync down from outlook.com (they appear to sync on the phone because you are signed into FB on the phone.)

Outlook Tips

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Ok, I was able to obtain this functionality with no problem but I think it will only work for Office 365 clients (maybe it will work with regular OWA as well, just can't verify).

Facebook connections in OWA is not supported in all tenants/all regions.

Outlook Tips

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:49 PM