none
MAP 5.5 - low scan results - "Failed - connection timed out" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm running MAP 5.5 on a Windows XP fleet.

I get a 43% failure rate (approx 700 PC's) with the result reporting as "Failed - connection timed out".

What can be done to reduce these "Connection timed out" failures?

My client is an international company, with the largest percentage of the PC fleet located in Canada, but are dispursed in many locations.  There are also PC's in three other countries that need to be scanned also.  Everything is connected in a domain and Active Directory. 

TIA !

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:45 PM

All replies

• Failed – Connection Timeout: The hostname resolved in DNS successfully to an IP address. Then MAP tried to open a connection to port 135 to see if the machine was firewalled or otherwise not listening on port 135 (possibly it’s a Linux machine or other non-windows or device). When trying to open TCP/135, the connection timed out (this is a normal TCP/IP connection timeout)

Note: MAP doesn’t try to do a traditional ping (ICMP) and instead relies on being able to open TCP/135 in the WMI inventory scenario to determine if the machine is alive/reachable or not

This can also be a result of network latency, but this is less likely the cause since I’ve talked to people that have scanned machines spread all over the world from a central location.

You can find a list of what the status messages mean at: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/microsoft-assessment-and-planning-toolkit-inventory-status-messages.aspx

I would also recommend upgrading to 6.0 since we are always making improvements to the collection of data.

Thanks

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:06 PM
  • I updated to the new MAP 6.0 and made sure the server team had implemented the GP settings for WMI. In the System Event Viewer on the desktop I run the MAP application on shows a number of errors: * I edited out the computer names with "<target PC>", "" and "<my domain>"

1. "DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <target PC> using any of the configured protocols."
    2. "The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server . This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named machine accounts in the target realm (<my domain>), and the client realm. Please contact your system administrator."

I generally have one of these messages for each of the failed target PC's. I am getting slightly better overall results but am still getting much less coverage than I was expecting. Any suggestions about these event viewer errors???

Also... we don't use SCCM (no config mgr clients), We use LANDesk 9 (ya... I know !!!)

Thanks!

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Is DCOM blocked or otherwise disabled on your network?  Can you test the ability to connect by WMI using WBEMTEST? An example can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtxo8re2_9w

Also, there are some network conditions that are discussed in Appendix A of the Getting Started Guide that might cause these problems.

Thanks

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:58 PM