Error when deleting ootb item in Incident Classification/Change Are RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

when trying to delete certain items on the Incident Classification list (e.g. Configuration Data Problems) or items on the Change Area list (e.g. Content) I get the following error: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".
    The stacktrace looks like this:

Date: 08/06/2011 09:16:40
    Application: System Center Service Manager Console
    Application Version: 7.0.6555.0
    Severity: Error

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Authoring.Enumeration.EnumerationForm.<>c__DisplayClass6.<SetSelectedItem>b__1(Object , EventArgs )
       at System.Windows.Controls.ItemContainerGenerator.SetStatus(GeneratorStatus value)
       at System.Windows.Controls.ItemContainerGenerator.Generator.System.IDisposable.Dispose()
       at System.Windows.Controls.VirtualizingStackPanel.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
       at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.MeasureCore(Size availableSize)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.Measure(Size availableSize)
       at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
       at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(Object arg)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.AnimatedRenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.TranslateAndDispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox)
       at System.Windows.Window.Show()
       at System.Windows.Window.ShowDialog()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Authoring.Enumeration.EnumerationTaskHandler.ExecuteCommand(IList`1 nodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task, ICollection`1 parameters)

How can I get rid of the ootb classifications that shipped with the product?

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:22 AM

Answers

• Just put another item ontop of the list (if so only temporary), and you should be able to delete that value aswell.

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se
    • Marked as answer by marcelcq Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Make sure these classifications and areas aren't used anywhere in the console. If they are, you cannot delete them.

- Are they used in any current Incident or Change record?
    - Are they used in any template?
    etc.

Regards
    //Anders

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

I already checked that. There are no incidents/changes with those classifications and areas.
    There must be some other reason, why they cannot be deleted.

Regards,
    Marcel

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:16 AM
  • I've seen a bug that causes an error if you try to delete the item that is highest on the list. Try to delete item number 2, 3, 4 on the list and see if that works.

Regards
    //Anders

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Indeed it is the first item on both lists that cannot be deleted! All others can be deleted without problems.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Just put another item ontop of the list (if so only temporary), and you should be able to delete that value aswell.

Regards
    //Anders

• Marked as answer by marcelcq Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:36 AM
  • That worked perfectly!

Thanks Anders!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:43 AM