I can no longer log into email on the phone where I installed MS Authenticator RRS feed

• Question

• I can no longer log into email on the phone where I installed the MS Authenticator App.  Can anyone tell me how to do so?

I wanted to establish two-part authentication for Microsoft (hotmail, live.com, msn.com, whatever) email accounts that I particularly did not want to have hacked.  In the process of setting up two-part authentication for first account, I instilled the Authenticator App to my Samsung Android phone.  This account was the default email account on the phone.

When I logged into the email account from various desktops or tablets, I had no problem.  I would get a message telling me I needed to authenticate.  I would see a message in the Authenticator App on my phone asking me if I approved the login to the email.  I approved the login, and the email account on the desktop opened.

BUT, I could not update the emails in that email account on my cell phone.  When I try to update, I get a message saying I need to log into the email account.  When I come to the password, I put in the password I was using before I set up two-part authentication, and get an "invalid password" message.  When I cut and paste the random code the Authenticator App displays, I get the same "invalid password" message.  And of course, no request goes to the phone to approve access to the email app that is on the same phone.

My cell phone provider customer support suggested I delete and reinstall my email account.  I deleted, but when I try to reinstall, I get the same "invalid password" messages described above.

How do I solve this problem?

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi CoyWolf1,

Sorry for my delay.

After you've turned on two-step verification, some apps (like the mail apps on some phones) or devices (like an Xbox 360 or Windows Phone) will show an incorrect password error because they can't prompt you to enter a security code when you try to sign in.

If you've turned on two-step verification and you see an incorrect password error with an app or device, you'll need to get and enter a unique app password to sign in. Once you've signed in with your app password, you're all set to use that app or device. You'll need to create a different app password to sign in to each app or device that can't prompt you for a security code.

Here are the steps for generating a new app password are always the same:

1.        Go to the Security settings page for your Microsoft Account.
    2.        Under App Passwords, click Create a new app password
    3.        Enter this app password where you would enter normal password.

More information about App passwords and two-step verification, please refer to this link.

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jason_ye Friday, June 9, 2017 9:49 AM
    Friday, May 26, 2017 5:46 AM