Duplicate message when sent from Gmail aliased Outlook account RRS feed

• Question

• Starting around August 2018, my Outlook account (custom domain through office 365) started spamming duplicate messages whenever I send to distribution groups created under the same custom domain.

The issue occurs when using the "send mail as" feature from gmail. Messages are not duplicated when sent to individual email address, and are also not duplicated if sent to distribution lists outside of the custom domain.

After posting the problem on the gmail forums, gmail experts suggested posting this on the outlook forums instead.

Thursday, November 1, 2018 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Warren,

Do you mean that when you use Gmail to send mail from your O365 account, it sends duplicate messages to internal distribution groups?

Does it only show duplicated email in Sent Items folder or it really send out two messages?

Have you tried sending messages on the web mail to see if same issue occurs?

If it only occurs on Outlook client, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Besides, if issue persists, please try creating a new profile to test the result.

Please feel free to tell us if there are any updates.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, November 2, 2018 5:27 AM
  • Hi Perry,

When I use gmail (https://mail.google.com) to send as my O365 account, all recipients, individuals, including myself, and those in distribution groups receive multiple copies of my message. The sent items folder only shows the message being sent once.

The duplicates do not appear if the message is sent from the O365 webmail client (https://outlook.office.com).

Friday, November 2, 2018 7:47 PM
  • Hi Warren,

>>When I use gmail (https://mail.google.com) to send as my O365 account, all recipients, individuals, including myself, and those in distribution groups receive multiple copies of my message. 

From the description, it can be reproduced on the web mail. This issue may not be related with Outlook client. As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook client, I'm not familiar with "send mail as" feature from Gmail. I tried to add my outlook.com account to Gmail "Send mail as" feature and when sending message from mail.google.com website, I didn't receive duplicated messages. You may contact Gmail to see if they have any good ideas.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:46 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 4:37 AM