none
SteadyState - Allow READ/WRITE/MODIFY access to specific folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have steadystate installed on law enforcement mobile data computers to keep them locked down from changes.  One of the options is the "HIDE" Drive_C: or other drives.  This is nice but we need them to access specific folders with read/write access.  Does anyone know how to HIDE Drive_c but have exceptions?  Allow acces to a specific folder and all folders and files within?  Do we need to abandon that HIDE feature and place our own permissions on each folder? 

Thanks!

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:01 PM

Answers

• Short answer, I believe is yes. You have to abandon that feature and establish permissions on specific files and folders if you don't want to give them access to the whole drive. I don't think using Group Policy's  "Hide Specific Drives" from within the Administrative Template will work either.

What folders do they need access to that you can't just have them log into a limited account without wreaking havoc on the rest of the drive?

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Monday, March 29, 2010 6:22 PM
  • For Windows SteadyState and "Hide drive" function itself does not allow to set exception. As fairlane32 said, we can use other method to achieve this.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:48 AM

All replies

• Short answer, I believe is yes. You have to abandon that feature and establish permissions on specific files and folders if you don't want to give them access to the whole drive. I don't think using Group Policy's  "Hide Specific Drives" from within the Administrative Template will work either.

What folders do they need access to that you can't just have them log into a limited account without wreaking havoc on the rest of the drive?

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Monday, March 29, 2010 6:22 PM
  • For Windows SteadyState and "Hide drive" function itself does not allow to set exception. As fairlane32 said, we can use other method to achieve this.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:48 AM