program windows will rearrange themselves when monitors are in sleep mode - how to stop windows switching screens RRS feed

• Question

• iv got 3 screens on one card via display port adapter and a 4th on a second card so as to have a 1 on top of three setup.

the computer itself does not sleep as I have servers running but I have the screens set to sleep after 10 mins.

for the longest time all screens would go to sleep and wake with no issues... in the last few months 2 issues arise.

1. after the monitors go to sleep and in no consistent time 1 monitor wakes enough to show the backlight but no display... wakes ok and sometimes screens dislocated.

and

2. when the monitors come out of power save / sleep mode some of the windows I had open will have been moved to different monitor like the monitors have been unplugged or "detected" numbers have changed and I have seen the number change a few times as well but not always.

I say some because I have 4 windows open on my left most monitor and 2 of them end up on my right monitor after the glitch.

sometimes the stuff on my center bottom {main screen} will end up on the top single monitor.

no rhyme or reason... some days no issue at all wake up and all is where it should be and all screens slept all night

most often this issue happens at night or after a long sleep session short sleep sessions and it does not happen.

for all the tech info

ATI 5750 and 5770 running in xfire mode w/ 1displayport to DVI / 1 HDMI to DVI / 1 DVI.

and ATI 5450 for the top monitor

windows 7 x64 / 8 core AMD8320 / 16 gig mem.

latest video drivers...

any info?

I'm a tech and even iv been scratching my head for a while on this one

thnx in advance for even reading to see my problem

thnx even more for an answer...lol

2.6 quad core - 3 gig ddr2 - 2x x1550 ati 1 pcie 1pci - 3x 500 gig hd 1 320gig 1 250 gig 1 200 gig

Monday, June 2, 2014 12:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you make any changes to your computer recently, such as install updates, application, add hardware?

According to your description, this problem could be caused by Graphic driver problem, have you tried to reinstall Graphic driver card for test? In addition, also check Windows update history if there is any update that relate with driver.

If problem persists, please check Event Viewer if it identify this problem.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:48 AM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 6:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you make any changes to your computer recently, such as install updates, application, add hardware?

According to your description, this problem could be caused by Graphic driver problem, have you tried to reinstall Graphic driver card for test? In addition, also check Windows update history if there is any update that relate with driver.

If problem persists, please check Event Viewer if it identify this problem.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:48 AM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 6:47 AM
  • kinda yes i added a second video card as a slave in a crossfire setup

iv had this same setup before and have switched a few times with minor issues that always got solved with driver reload

and for some reason in this final setup this is the only thing still messing with me.

some days wake up and all is correct on screens and all screens are asleep

next day #3 screen on far right will be awake and stuff from #2 middle bottom screen is up on top.

iv tried reloading drivers... iv tried older drivers and beta ...

have tried removing all info related to ati drivers and amd catylist and all that good stuff using their special removal tools...

the event viewer keeps giving this but i don't see a connection

i wish i did but im lost...

The Peer Networking Grouping service depends on the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

and 

The Peer Name Resolution Protocol cloud did not start because the creation of the default identity failed with error code: 0x800703e5.

and lastly something about Schannel 

The following fatal alert was generated: 43. The internal error state is 252.
    everything else is basic stuff

thnx again and crossing fingers

• Edited by lbvagrant Friday, June 20, 2014 6:40 AM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 6:34 AM