Adding passthru drive error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Server 2012r2 Hyper v host.  It has an external hard drive which I have taken offline in disk manager.  When I try to add it to a virtual, it shows in the drop down of physical drives but when I select it and click on OK or Apply, I get an error which just says Error attaching physical hard drive.  No more details.
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Davemcdu,

Before taking the disk offline did you format it \ remove all the volumes to Unallocated.

Also a raw volume must first be initialized before it can be used. So the disk must first be brought Online -> Initialized and ->Offline.

If all good, check for application logs, turn on the logging to highest and see if you get anything.

Reference:

Configuring Pass-through Disks in Hyper-V

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2008/10/24/configuring-pass-through-disks-in-hyper-v/

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Sunday, January 22, 2017 1:19 PM
  • The disk was being used as a pass thru drive when the server was shut down (gracefully) for a scheduled power outage.  When the power came back on, the server was started but the virtual did not start because it had lost the passthru drive (drive was off).  To boot up the virtual, I removed the physical drive and the virtual booted OK.  I then fixed the problem with external drive and it came up online on the host.  At that point I took the drive offline and tried to add it to the virtual with no luck.
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Thanks  I  went ahead and deleted the volume, recreated and formatted, then was able to pass thru to virtual.
    • Proposed as answer by Satyajit321 Saturday, February 4, 2017 5:54 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Something might have corrupted the data, due to the problem with the drive.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Saturday, February 4, 2017 5:56 PM