WSUS and BranchCache RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2008R2 WSUS server at my central location, and 71 remote sites with a 2008R2 server at each site.  I want to configure WSUS to use BranchCache so that the client computers at each remote site pull the WSUS files from the server at each site.  I have tried researching how to enable this, but I am confused regarding what actually needs to be set up.

Can someone please clear up for me which of the following things need to be enabled?

Enable BranchCache feature on WSUS box?

Enable BranchCache feature on the server at each remote site?

Enable BranchCache on all of my Windows 7 clients?

Ensure that WSUS is storing updates locally (This I already did)

Thank you for your help!

Jason

Jason Rottman National Heritage Academies
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hello,

WSUS is not made for branch cache use. You can only use other WSUS machines as downstream servers.

Have a look into System Center configuration manager if that is able for this kind of setup.

Keep in mind that WSUS is a free option that is not made for this kind of operations.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:09 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:50 PM

All replies

• For WSUS queries please post on WSUS forum..

Thanks

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Hello,

WSUS is not made for branch cache use. You can only use other WSUS machines as downstream servers.

Have a look into System Center configuration manager if that is able for this kind of setup.

Keep in mind that WSUS is a free option that is not made for this kind of operations.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:09 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Yes, I agree with Meinolf.

You can go with SCCM instead of WSUS. SCCM supports branchcache.

Check this article.

Thanks

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Seems like WSUS supports BranchCache. I've not tried it myself.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939820(WS.10).aspx

Using the BranchCache feature:

BranchCache is a new feature in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 that reduces WAN link utilization and improves application responsiveness. To enable BranchCache acceleration of content served by the WSUS server, install the BranchCache feature on the server and the clients, and ensure that the BranchCache service has started. No other steps are necessary. For information about installing BrancheCache, see the BranchCache Early Adopter's Guide (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=148741).

Chris Summers
    • Proposed as answer by osr_MVP Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:23 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:30 PM
  • How Chris Summers say... the Wsus from SP2 support BranchCache.. please change the reply!
    Robson Hasselhoff - Follow me @Robk9e
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:49 PM
  • I don't think this is true.

Jason Yates

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:55 AM