none
MS Access 2003 Database using Access 2010

Question

• Hi There,

I've just bought a new laptop using Windows 7 (64 bit) running Office 2010. When I have transferred over my Database it is not working correctly and data is missing. The database previously worked on Windows XP sp3 using MS Access 2003.

Is it possible to uninstall Access 2010 and install Access 2003 on Win 7 64 bit with the rest of the Office Programs still being 2010 ?

Thanks,

Ijamesetl

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:00 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, you can remove Access 2010 individual and rest of other program still in 2010

Before that, I suggest you should be refer to this Article convert previous database to the .accdb file format

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx?CTT=1

Convert an Access 2003 database to the .accdb format

1.       On the File tab, click Open.

2.       In the Open dialog box, select and open the Access 2000 or Access 2002 - 2003 database (.mdb) that you want to convert.

NOTE    If the Database Enhancement dialog box appears, the database is using a file format that is earlier than Access 2000. To continue, see the section Convert an Access 97 database to the .accdb format.

3.       On the File tab, click Save & Publish, and then, under Database File Types click Access Database (*.accdb).

4.       Click Save As.

If any database objects are open when you click Save As, Access prompts you to close them prior to creating the copy. Click Yes to make Access close the objects, or click No to cancel the entire process. If needed, Access will also prompt you to save any changes.

5.       In the Save As dialog box, type a file name in the File name box, and then click Save.

Access creates the copy of the database, and then opens the copy. Access automatically closes the original database.

Best regards

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, you can remove Access 2010 individual and rest of other program still in 2010

Before that, I suggest you should be refer to this Article convert previous database to the .accdb file format

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx?CTT=1

Convert an Access 2003 database to the .accdb format

1.       On the File tab, click Open.

2.       In the Open dialog box, select and open the Access 2000 or Access 2002 - 2003 database (.mdb) that you want to convert.

NOTE    If the Database Enhancement dialog box appears, the database is using a file format that is earlier than Access 2000. To continue, see the section Convert an Access 97 database to the .accdb format.

3.       On the File tab, click Save & Publish, and then, under Database File Types click Access Database (*.accdb).

4.       Click Save As.

If any database objects are open when you click Save As, Access prompts you to close them prior to creating the copy. Click Yes to make Access close the objects, or click No to cancel the entire process. If needed, Access will also prompt you to save any changes.

5.       In the Save As dialog box, type a file name in the File name box, and then click Save.

Access creates the copy of the database, and then opens the copy. Access automatically closes the original database.

Best regards

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Hi,

Been writing databases for about 15 years, so there is really nothing new to this and have been using Access since around Office 97.  So by now I am quite used to dealing with the usual glithces everytime MS decides it is time to dump a newer version of office on to the market..

I tried doing what you recommened in the above article, opened an Access 2003 database, and did a "save as"  to convet it from and 'mdb' to an 'accb' format.  And basically this accomplished absolutely nothing, you see it opens as an 'accb' and when it tries to run the macros that are query intensive it locks up with a "reserve error (-5500)" code. 

Unfortunately this is at work issue and I cannot just dump MS Office 2010 out of the system and go back to a version that I know actually works.  So can you guys please come up some ideas that might actually solve this issue.

waiting with my fingers crossed,

Bill R 

• Edited by badger1084 Monday, September 26, 2011 1:18 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Hi james,

Now I am faceing the same problem, I am currently using WinXP + Access 2003.

I plan to upgrade the workstation to Win7 + Access 2010.

I am very concern you said "When I have transferred over my Database it is not working correctly and data is missing",  what actions you have made? did you convert the MDB --> ACCDB? or open the MDB also make data loss?

I plan to do not convert MDB --> ACCDB, I want to keep the MDB format and use it in Access 2010.

Thanks,

Jasper

Thursday, May 02, 2013 2:26 AM