Task Sceduler Hot Fix? RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows Server Enterprise 2008 SP2. Task scheduler will not run richcopy task with arguments(with or without quotation marks) or batch files. Task scheduler indicated job runs but it doesn't. Result codes vary, 0x482740 or 0x101. Richcopy is in the environment varialbes path, tried setting up as basic task and regular task. When selecting "run whether user logged on or not" is selected task will not execute but if "run only if user is looged on" is selected it runs successfully. Tried setting "system" or server's local "administrator" as user account but same result. Found hotfix kb951246 tired installing and message reads upgrade patch cannot be installed by windows installer program may be missing or the upgrade patch may be for a different version of the program.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:30 PM

Answers

• F.Y.I.

Came across this fix and it works just fine.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservermanager/thread/d47d116e-10b9-44f0-9a30-7406c86c2fbe

Had to add local administrator to the folders richcopy was copying even though administrators group was already listed with full access rights. Also installed Richcopy into root of C: and again added local administrator with  full access rights to c:\Richcopy then copied all batch files I was running into c:\richcopy.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Torcas Friday, July 23, 2010 2:28 PM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the user running the job have the "log on as a batch job" privilege?

-- Mike Burr
    • Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Also, is robocopy a viable alternative with the job?

-- Mike Burr
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:27 PM
  • yes the local administrator has the "log on as a batch job" rights and is not listed in the "deny run as a batch job". I can run the richcopy command from a batch file manually or from the run command successfully so I know it works, just not through task scheduler.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest replacing richcopy with xcopy or copy in your task or batch file to test. Does the same error occur?

Please note, if copy or xcopy works and only richcopy doesn’t work, the problem was caused by richcopy. RichCopy is provided as-is, and it's not supported by Microsoft

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:33 AM
  • F.Y.I.

Came across this fix and it works just fine.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservermanager/thread/d47d116e-10b9-44f0-9a30-7406c86c2fbe

Had to add local administrator to the folders richcopy was copying even though administrators group was already listed with full access rights. Also installed Richcopy into root of C: and again added local administrator with  full access rights to c:\Richcopy then copied all batch files I was running into c:\richcopy.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Torcas Friday, July 23, 2010 2:28 PM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 2:27 PM

• Great, thank you for sharing the solution.

Regards

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:43 AM